PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Make XFCE look and act like GNOME 2!

Testingte
January 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Found this while browsing the web. Dunno if it's up already, but I thought I should share it for all who have switched to XFCE from Unity or GNOME 3 or for those who like the idea of MATE, but don't like how unstable it is.

http://namakutux.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-make-xfce-looks-like-gnome-2.html

That + Compiz = GNOME 2? Just about! Plus! It's fast, stable, lightweight, no compatibility issues! (At least I don't think so)

I've yet to try it myself, but I thought I should share it anywayz :D

deonis
January 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM
nice

fatcowxlive
April 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry for this bump, but this is awesome :D. When Xubuntu 12.04 comes out in 16 days, imma try it out ^^.

Testingte
April 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Sorry for this bump, but this is awesome :D. When Xubuntu 12.04 comes out in 16 days, imma try it out ^^.

Np mate, tried it out meself, and it does work well.

Not 100%, seeing as there is no three-panel thing working.

But Places opens the File Manager, and System opens System Settings, which kinda what I wanted ;P.

Lemuriano
April 10th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I decide to make the best of XFCE and Xubuntu for that matter, with just one regret. Why I did not try Xubuntu before?:popcorn:

neu5eeCh
April 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 in Beta since it was downloadable. Have to say though, coming back to Xubuntu is a pleasure and relief. I'm holding out for the new Voyager re-spin though.

fatcowxlive
April 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Np mate, tried it out meself, and it does work well.

Not 100%, seeing as there is no three-panel thing working.

But Places opens the File Manager, and System opens System Settings, which kinda what I wanted ;P.

Yeahhh Tomorrow it comes out, then I will see how it preforms :D. What do I have to lose? :P

HtmlGifted
April 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have found ubuntu is a nice o.s but the wireless connection is glitchy with an Atheros networking card... I am happy with the distro I have ( 10,04 Lucid) on a Toshiba laptop that use to have windows 7 on it.. works allot better with ubuntu then it ever did with windows...

would recommend Ubuntu of any making to any of my friends that was looking for a better o.s then Microsofts version.... I am so happy Linux is a open source project..

can't go wrong with any Linux distro.... No way, no how.

Marzata
April 28th, 2012, 12:05 PM
This is a great try but I prefer the default Xubuntu 12.04 theme Greybird, with installed Faenza-Dark icons. IMHO, it is the most beautiful and the most stylish Linux distro.

SonikkuAmerica
March 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Actually, there's a better to emulate the Places menu in XFCE nowadays: XFCE (as of 4.8) now has a Places Menu panel item, which lists the common places as well as the most recent n files and folders. Just add it to the panel and choose "Show label instead of icon."

Buntu Bunny
March 23rd, 2013, 01:51 AM
Looks like the best of both worlds.

TeamRocket1233c
April 25th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Found this while browsing the web. Dunno if it's up already, but I thought I should share it for all who have switched to XFCE from Unity or GNOME 3 or for those who like the idea of MATE, but don't like how unstable it is.

http://namakutux.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-make-xfce-looks-like-gnome-2.html

That + Compiz = GNOME 2? Just about! Plus! It's fast, stable, lightweight, no compatibility issues! (At least I don't think so)

I've yet to try it myself, but I thought I should share it anywayz :D

MATE may have improved since its first release, but it's still a little buggy, mainly in the appearance department, as in some dialog box elements looking a little off, etc, while Xfce handles that a little better, IMO.

SantaFe
April 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Personally, I like brighter colors than the drab Mac look. ;)

TeamRocket1233c
May 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Meanwhile I prefer black, dark gray, and blue mainly.