PDA

View Full Version : midnight commander

rindi
June 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for suggestions for future ubuntu's. I'm missing at least one essential tool in the liveCD of ubuntu, the Midnight Commander. Is there any reason why this "Swiss Army Knife" Utility isn't included? Another missing utility is krusader, the GUI version of mc.

rcarring
June 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I guess they were pushed for space. At one time the build image iso was bigger than 700mb. Nautilus is included, and most new users aren't going to jump in at the command line straightaway.

ComplexNumber
June 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for suggestions for future ubuntu's. I'm missing at least one essential tool in the liveCD of ubuntu, the Midnight Commander. Is there any reason why this "Swiss Army Knife" Utility isn't included? Another missing utility is krusader, the GUI version of mc. try gnome-commander instead. click (http://gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=1279). the ubuntu package is here (http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/download.html#distro).

svaens
April 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
gnome commander doesn't handle archives.

justin whitaker
April 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for suggestions for future ubuntu's. I'm missing at least one essential tool in the liveCD of ubuntu, the Midnight Commander. Is there any reason why this "Swiss Army Knife" Utility isn't included? Another missing utility is krusader, the GUI version of mc.

Space. There is barely enough space for what is already included.

MC is easy enough to get from the repos, even while running in a live environment.

Krusader is KDE/QT, and the default desktop is GNOME. Actually, come to think of it, Kubuntu doesn't even ship with that by default either.

I always install MC, but I think it's popularity has waned. When was the last time it was updated?

gsmanners
April 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Worker handles archives if you install avfs and compile it yourself, and it's lightning fast like MC.