PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to switch between languages on GNOME 3?

emptycoder
January 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM
n00b needs help here, sorry!
When I was on Windows, I used to change keyboard layout language by clicking CTRL+SHIFT, but when I immigrated to Linux I couldn't figure it out how to do that? Besides.., how to add a second Language to switch to? I don't know how to do that either!
Thanks.
(Ubuntu 11.10 x64, GNOME 3 shell)

grahammechanical
January 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I know nothing about gnome shell but Ubuntu uses what are called Unicode fonts, so we do not necessarily need to install another language in order to type in another language alphabet. We just need to install a keyboard layout for that language.

This link will tell you about Unicode fonts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_font

There is a utility called Keyboard Layout in System Settings. Open it and click on the plus ( + ) sign and choose a new layout according to the language that you require.

Afterwards a keyboard icon will appear in the top panel and you can use that to switch between the default installed language and keyboard layout and the new language keyboard layout. You can also assign keyboard short-cuts to switching between keyboard layouts.

How you do this in Gnome shell I do not know. But this might put you in the right direction.

Oh, by the way, changing the language for the OS is done through System Settings>Language Support. If that is what you want.

Regards.

BC59
January 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM
n00b needs help here, sorry!
When I was on Windows, I used to change keyboard layout language by clicking CTRL+SHIFT, but when I immigrated to Linux I couldn't figure it out how to do that? Besides.., how to add a second Language to switch to? I don't know how to do that either!
Thanks.
(Ubuntu 11.10 x64, GNOME 3 shell)

This is the problem with Gnome 3 shell. It's not ready yet.
In normal Ubuntu-Unity you have to open the System Settings--Keyboard layout--> and from the left panel to press the + symbol. Then you choose the languages you like to install. To use the SHIFT+ALT you mentioned, you have to go to right panel--options-->Key(s) to change layout and from there choose the combination you like.
I'm sure in Gnome 3 Shell it's similar.

emptycoder
January 19th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fixed! you both were right, on the System Settings, under Keyboard there's a Layout Tab, from there you can add another layout by clicking on Plus Button (+) then choose the desired Language.
Many thanks.