PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a laptop cooler?

wolfen69
January 19th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I use a Targus cooler, and have been very happy with it. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why some coolers blow down, but the holes on the bottom of the laptop blow in. Then they are pulling against each other. <scratches head>

But mine blows up, and it has kept it very cool. Btw, if you don't use one, I highly recommend you get one. Well worth $20 to protect your investment.

donkyhotay
January 19th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I used to use one, I think it was a targus too. It really helped keep my laptop going as it had a bad tendency to overheat otherwise.

BrokenKingpin
January 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I you have a laptop that is overheating or getting pretty hot, you probably need to clean out the fans. A laptop cooler should not be needed. I have had four laptops, and have never needed a laptop cooler, but I also cleaned out the fans every couple months.

koleoptero
January 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I you have a laptop that is overheating or getting pretty hot, you probably need to clean out the fans. A laptop cooler should not be needed. I have had four laptops, and have never needed a laptop cooler, but I also cleaned out the fans every couple months.

How about the hard drive? My hdd temp drops almost 20 degrees with the cooler on. I imagine my hdd much prefers 34 celcius to 50+.

It's the main reason I use the cooler, it doesn't make much of a difference as far as the cpu is concerned.

And I agree with the OP, it's much worth its money if it's going to prolong even just the hard drive's life-span.

Mine is a hama with a huge fan that doesn't make any noise at all, and *yes* it blows up. :mrgreen:

Double.J
January 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I have one for my little netbook - a little one with only one fan!, I know that some netbooks don't even need cooling, but I prefer keeping it cool, it's had a very hard comming up 3.5 years of life!

as to the direction, no I don't get it either I installed a liquid cooler for a friend that in the manual said to blow into the box... as in warm the air over the radiator and blow the warm (technically more humid) air in... I ignored that and fitted it blowing out! ;)

AlanR8
January 19th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I used to use one with my Sony Vaio it got very hot all the time. This Acer Aspire 5742 is a different matter all together. Not yet found the need to use it as it keeps nice and cool all on its own!

forrestcupp
January 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I think most newer mainstream laptops run a lot cooler than they used to. My last laptop, that only gets used for work now, gets very hot. It especially gets hot while doing CPU intensive tasks. I used to use a cooler for that laptop when I did hardcore stuff because it was getting very hot on my lap. But my new laptop doesn't seem to get nearly as hot.

I never used it all of the time just because it was a hassle to deal with.

syerges
January 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM
If they are pulling opposite, they will create a vacuum that will cool it as well as just both pushing air in the same direction to move the heat. Either way should be fine and a vacuum may even be better as it will cool more than below the air temperature. Therefore, you don't have to worry.

forrestcupp
January 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
If they are pulling opposite, they will create a vacuum that will cool it as well as just both pushing air in the same direction to move the heat. Either way should be fine and a vacuum may even be better as it will cool more than below the air temperature. Therefore, you don't have to worry.

Yeah, but part of the point is keeping the heat off of your lap.

BrokenKingpin
January 19th, 2012, 08:04 PM
If a laptop cannot keep itself cool it just seems like bad design to me.

wirepuller134
January 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
We use coolers on ours, but for a different reason. A lot of times the places we have to set them is either wet or covered in grinding dust so fourth. So we use them without the fans on to just protect the laptop from the surface it is setting on.

KiwiNZ
January 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM
It cracks me up each time I visit my son and he is using his HP laptop he has this a couple of inches away from it and you could still fry steak.

I am going to build him a new PC.

koleoptero
January 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
It cracks me up each time I visit my son and he is using his HP laptop he has this a couple of inches away from it and you could still fry steak.

I am going to build him a new PC.

A friend of mine had something similar for his desktop. Rig open and that thing blowing air inside. A truly horrible situation :mrgreen:

wolfen69
January 20th, 2012, 01:25 AM
If a laptop cannot keep itself cool it just seems like bad design to me.

Btw, my laptop doesn't get hot without the cooler, it's just that it runs even cooler with it than without. And lowering the temps even a couple degrees (even though not really needed) is worth it to me. It definitely doesn't hurt.