PDA

View Full Version : Interface idea - revolutionary or crazy?

Stray Wolf
January 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I've had this idea whirring around my head and whether its good or not I hope it stops haunting me once I get it out there. Here goes:

Looking at the Ubuntu logo got me thinking about circles. Concentric ones. Imagine a launcher or icon like a hub to a wheel. When you hover over it spokes come out. Each spoke is an option. As you rotate your mouse wheel the spokes rotate highlighting the option to the immediate right of the launcher (kind of like an analogue dial). Middle click on the launcher selects the highlighted spoke. If that spoke has sub-menus the launcher absorbs the text of the selected spoke and the spokes change to list the sub-menus and so on. For example:
You have a Firefox launcher that acts like a hub. You hover over the icon and spokes appear around the FF icon with options such as open, open in safe mode, bookmarks, open new instance etc... You rotate your mouse wheel to rotate the spokes until your chosen option is highlighted and middle click the mouse to select it. If you select bookmarks the text moves into the FF icon like a label, and the spokes change to your bookmarks folders. Rotate the mouse to select a folder, middle click, and the folder name is now absorbed into the firefox icon and the spokes change to the bookmarks in that folder. Rotate the mouse wheel to that bookmark, middle click and it opens.
Hope I explained it right. It's my idea so I think it's kind of neat. But in reality it might be incredibly inefficient and annoying. I was hoping this could be worth someone smarter than me to consider trying. But any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe this should go into the art/design threads? Not sure so feel free to move this.

FuturePilot
January 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
You're neither revolutionary or crazy. This idea has been posted here a number of times with slight variations.

Stray Wolf
January 18th, 2012, 10:33 PM
You're neither revolutionary or crazy. This idea has been posted here a number of times with slight variations.

I should've known. Well, maybe if anyone could site an implementation that I could check out I'd appreciate it!

Paqman
January 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM
The only way to find out is to build it. I have a seen a couple of circular (http://circular-application-menu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/images/one.png) launcher (http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/07/30/4587fa8719d60a0f8bea2a3bb4afbe7df80b_1Screenshot_-_7_13_2010_,_8_02_18_PM.png) thingys in the past,but haven't tried any myself.

techvish81
January 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
good idea, would be nice interface if mr. shuttleworth thinks anything other than unity.

Stray Wolf
January 18th, 2012, 11:12 PM
The only way to find out is to build it. I have a seen a couple of circular (http://circular-application-menu.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/images/one.png) launcher (http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/07/30/4587fa8719d60a0f8bea2a3bb4afbe7df80b_1Screenshot_-_7_13_2010_,_8_02_18_PM.png) thingys in the past,but haven't tried any myself.

Thanks. This is the first time I've seen visual representations of what I was thinking about! In my head it was more text based like the old drop-down menus (Places, applications, etc...) but much like the old menu it could have icons only, text only, or both.
I was just trying to navigate with only one button. I figured the mouse was perfect so you can scroll and select without even lifting a finger. I figure if each launcher is it's own hub, there would be greater control how a program is launched. I still hoping someone, somewhere has a working implementation to check out. But the pics were nice, thanks!

Oh yeah, in those pics it looks like the the hub layers up with each sub-folder/menu like an onion growing layers. Getting you farther from the center launcher. The difference is minor but I pictured the selected spoke "absorbing" into the hub. So the hub represents where you are and the spokes represent where you can go. And maybe a tiny back button or maybe a right click to change directional navigation in the hub from forwards to backwards. Still just brainstorming though. It's a fun exercise!

guyver_dio
January 19th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I don't think it's dumb but not revolutionary, certainly not the most practical design. For one thing it's faster to point and click rather then scroll especially if you have many 'spokes'. However if you think it's a design that suits you, make it for yourself and share it once you're happy with it, chances are if it suits you it'll probably suit a few other people.

Copper Bezel
January 19th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I should've known. Well, maybe if anyone could site an implementation that I could check out I'd appreciate it!

Actually, yeah, it's worse than FuturePilot said - your idea is good, so it's actually been implemented. I can't link you to it, because it's a paid service, but this is exactly how all menus in Prezi are handled; there's a menu disk at the upper left surrounded by smaller disks, and when clicked, each item becomes the main hub and spawns new options. So, awesome, because you're right on track; too bad it's not a new idea, though. = (

IWantFroyo
January 19th, 2012, 01:25 AM
It would actually be a very good interface idea. I doubt this would end up as its own complete shell, but it would have real potential if somebody figured out how to make it an Openbox theme/plug-in.

It would be best to keep it simple, however. Tablets and touchpads can't middle click, so what would be best is possibly a long click or right click on desktop (like Openbox) brings up the menu.

This idea has actually popped up several times in different forms, but never really got implemented within the open source world.

forrestcupp
January 19th, 2012, 03:16 AM

That's what I was thinking. Deja vu. Wasn't this same thing posted last year some time?

Copper Bezel
January 19th, 2012, 03:27 AM
I know there was a thing with hexagons instead of circles around that time. It was much less practical, and the mockup made it seem overcomplicated (lots of potential for clutter.)

forrestcupp
January 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I know there was a thing with hexagons instead of circles around that time. It was much less practical, and the mockup made it seem overcomplicated (lots of potential for clutter.)

Yeah, I guess it was hexagons. Seems like someone else linked to an actual honeycomb type GUI project in that thread.

click4851
January 19th, 2012, 04:02 PM
sounds similar to a project I saw some time ago, project looking glass. Seems to me some guy from Java was the developer.

hmmmm...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Looking_Glass

just off the cuff and all....

Stray Wolf
January 19th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the helpful criticism and feedback everyone! So far, what I've seen looks a lot more cluttered than when I pictured it. Maybe that's the cost of actually implementing such an interface. If someone was to experiment with creating a new menu system, what would be the best tools to develop it for the Ubuntu/Linux world? I really don't know anything about programming...so what language and tool kit would be best?

Reg71
January 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the helpful criticism and feedback everyone! So far, what I've seen looks a lot more cluttered than when I pictured it. Maybe that's the cost of actually implementing such a interface. If someone was to experiment with creating a new menu system, what would be the best tools to develop it for the Ubuntu/Linux world? I really don't know anything about programming...so what language and tool kit would be best?

A lot of people seem to be liking Python lately. No experience with it myself. I haven't programmed much since the 90s. I just work with what they give me...