PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] VTX Radeon HD 5450 compared with NVIDIA GT520 GeForce

keithpeter
January 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hello All

I've just received a recycled HP xw6200 desktop PC. I ordered one with a NVIDIA GT520 GeForce pci-e graphics card as I'm familiar with Nvidia drivers from using integrated graphics on my old desktop

The muppets supplied a unit with a VTX Radeon HD 5450 graphics card.

Is there going to be a big difference on 12.04 or are ATI cards ok these days?

coffeecat
January 18th, 2012, 10:58 PM
In fact the Radeon HD5450 is quite a good choice, imo. I use one in my main desktop and it works very well with the default open source driver in Natty and Oneiric. Enough 3d acceleration for compiz and Unity and I can play HD videos without stuttering with it.

If you're not a gamer then I think it's fine since the ATI open source driver is more than adequate.

There is a thread somewhere else in the forum where someone is having issues with a setup that includes a Radeon HD5450, but I rather think the problem lies elsewhere. My experience has been good.

keithpeter
January 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hello Coffeecat

No gaming here, and Unity is a lot more responsive compared to the integrated graphics on the old PC. I think I'll leave sleeping dogs lying... can't face packaging up this 10Kg beast and sending it back anyway

Thanks