PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] X/K/L Ubuntu?

syerges
January 18th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I get that X/K/L Ubuntu use different desktop environments and that they range in speed of the system. What I seem to be having trouble finding is what these different environments entail. What don't they have or do that makes them faster? I love the extra speed of Ubuntu but if I can go even faster, I want to. What will I lose?

bluexrider
January 18th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Recommended reading

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

syerges
January 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I did... it says this one is faster than that one and that's about it. It doesn't say what you lose to gain the speed... do you lose anything?

mcduck
January 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
background services that handle various tasks automatically, features that might not be used as often or by most people, graphical configuration tools and options, that kind of stuff.

How much you'd loose depends on what desktop environment you choose, and what things and features you actually need. Most likely you have never even noticed most of the Gnome features that a DE like XFCE doesn't have...

In the end it's pretty much impossible for anybody else to tell if you'd really miss anything you need. The best way is to simply try them out and see which one works best for you.

MG&TL
January 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I did... it says this one is faster than that one and that's about it. It doesn't say what you lose to gain the speed... do you lose anything?

No...the desktop environment is different. You can still install all the apps you can in ubuntu.

KDE=Kubuntu. KDE is quite heavy, with lots of transparency and other things. To try, install 'kubuntu-desktop'

XFCE=Xubuntu. XFCE is quite light, not so much eye-candy, menu-driven. To try, install 'xubuntu-desktop'

LXDE=Lubuntu. LXDE is very light, (even more so than XFCE), with even less eye-candy. To try, install 'lubuntu-desktop'.

syerges
January 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not a fan of menu's, I love docks as I have one on each side of my screen. I'm sure it effects speed but that is a must for me. I'll have to try each to really know if there is anything missing that I can't compensate for.

Lars Noodén
January 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'm not a fan of menu's, I love docks as I have one on each side of my screen. I'm sure it effects speed but that is a must for me. I'll have to try each to really know if there is anything missing that I can't compensate for.

Then you might start with KDE. It's docks are very adjustable and there are tons of widgets to add.

MG&TL
January 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Then you might start with KDE. It's docks are very adjustable and there are tons of widgets to add.

although to be fair, Unity has to be the ultimate menu-hating DE, so the OP may be better where they are. But give KDE a go. :)

syerges
January 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Apparently Unity has been made for me. I'm going to keep playing with others and see if they grow on me though since it took at least a day to hate Ubuntu less than Windows...lol
:guitar: Rock on Unity!