PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [unity] No global menu for desktop.

dawidmt
January 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I got global menu for applications but when there's no active application, theres no global menu. Picture:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3505741/panel.png
Tried to restart unity settings, but nothing changes. Also tried to create new, clean user account and there was the same problem. Please help.

BC59
January 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Try this, open a terminal CTRL+ALT+T and run:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

dawidmt
January 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Try this, open a terminal CTRL+ALT+T and run:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

It doesn't help. Tried also reinstall unity and still nothing.

saneearth
January 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
This may sound silly, but have you clicked on the desktop window. Often the menu for any window will not become active till you click on the window or heading bar itself. If you are still having issues you may try and open terminal and enter "unity --reset". This will default everything if you have happened to make changes inadvertantly that caused this.

BC59
January 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Looks strange...go here (Everything about Unity
http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity) there is everything about Unity, try to see if there is something that could help you.

dawidmt
January 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
This may sound silly, but have you clicked on the desktop window. Often the menu for any window will not become active till you click on the window or heading bar itself. If you are still having issues you may try and open terminal and enter "unity --reset". This will default everything if you have happened to make changes inadvertantly that caused this.
Yes, I click on desktop and there still is no global menu.

UPDATE
Sometimes when I maximize application the global menu is also empty and there's no window buttons (close etc.).

BC59
January 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Then you have to try the difficult solution. You have to reset Compiz. Sometimes it's not working and maybe you have more problems than solutions. Run to a terminal:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 && gconftool-2 --type=list --list-type=string --set /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolb ox,decor,grid,move,resize,mousepoll,regex,snap,gno mecompat,place,imgpng,vpswitch,animation,wall,work arounds,fade,session,expo,ezoom,unityshell] && compiz --replace & disown
After running you may still have no buttons and you need to run this command again

compiz --replace & disown
Takes time to be reset and need patience.

dawidmt
January 19th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Then you have to try the difficult solution. You have to reset Compiz. Sometimes it's not working and maybe you have more problems than solutions. Run to a terminal:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1 && gconftool-2 --type=list --list-type=string --set /apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins [core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolb ox,decor,grid,move,resize,mousepoll,regex,snap,gno mecompat,place,imgpng,vpswitch,animation,wall,work arounds,fade,session,expo,ezoom,unityshell] && compiz --replace & disownAfter running you may still have no buttons and you need to run this command again

compiz --replace & disownTakes time to be reset and need patience.
It doesn't help - still no global menu for desktop.

cbennett926
April 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM
I too am having this problem, I went through all the other solutions as well :(

(Update)

I uninstalled CCSM and I also switched my laptop to only run discrete graphics, and rebooted, now it works.