PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] yEd problem on Xubuntu 11.10

skywatcher
January 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I want to use the yEd graph editor on Xubuntu 11.10, but when I try to install it, I get this error:

Could not display the GUI. This application needs access to an X Server

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this? I had no problem installing and running yEd on Linux Mint 12.

Toz
January 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
How are you trying to install the program? Are you running the install command (sudo ./yEd-3.8.sh) from within a terminal window (as opposed to running it in one of the virtual TTYs)?

I just downloaded and installed the program without any problems. Its actually quite a neat Visio-type java app - I'll have to give it a closer look.

skywatcher
January 19th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Yes, I'm using what is called the "Terminal Emulator" on Xubuntu, with sudo ./yEd-3.8.sh.

I get the same message every time.

By the way, could it have something to do with Java?

Toz
January 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, I'm using what is called the "Terminal Emulator" on Xubuntu, with sudo ./yEd-3.8.sh.

I get the same message every time.

By the way, could it have something to do with Java?

Possibly. Which java implementation do you have installed? From the terminal window, type in the following command and post back the results:

java -version

skywatcher
January 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM
This is what I get:

java version "1.6.0_23"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre11-0ubuntu1.11.10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

Toz
January 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
So you're running a 64-bit system. I think thats the problem. According to: http://yed.yworks.com/support/qa/17/the-yed-linux-installer-aborts-with-error-message-what-can-do, the installer can fail on 64-bit systems, because the installer is 32-bit. According to that same link, towards the bottom, there are instructions for manually installing (don't worry about the part about installing the official Oracle versino of Java - it works fine with the java you have installed).

Another option you could try, is to install the 32-bit libraries in your 64-bit install to see if that helps:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

skywatcher
January 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Toz

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.

gnuts
February 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
hello I ran into his problem on my 64 bit install and your suggestion worked, after installing ia32-libs the installer ran fine without sun's official java. Thank you!