PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any good computer schools in Houston?

TheNerdAL
January 18th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I love computers and anything tech. So, I want to do what I love and help fix computers and want to get my certifications and training. But I don't know any good computer schools. I don't want to take other classes other than the ones I want to take.

Anyone know of any? Thanks!

KiwiNZ
January 18th, 2012, 03:34 AM
The IT industry is very broad, you need to decide what area you wish to work in and target your learning and target your learning provider.

I have interviewed many candidates for IT roles that had good work ethics, lots of courses under their belt and none of them applicable to the job they were applying for, thus they were unsuccessful.

TheNerdAL
January 18th, 2012, 03:38 AM
The IT industry is very broad, you need to decide what area you wish to work in and target your learning and target your learning provider.

I have interviewed many candidates for IT roles that had good work ethics, lots of courses under their belt and none of them applicable to the job they were applying for, thus they were unsuccessful.

I want to work with computers and fix them. I also want to learn about servers.

I pretty much wanna learn everything there is to learn about computers.

KiwiNZ
January 18th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I want to work with computers and fix them. I also want to learn about servers.

I pretty much wanna learn everything there is to learn about computers.

What training have you done to date?

Your aim is too vague to determine the best options for you. For example do you want to fix Software, hardware, Databases. Network engineering, system support, development, infrastructure management........... the list is huge.

Have you considered consulting an IT careers adviser?

TheNerdAL
January 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM
What training have you done to date?

Your aim is too vague to determine the best options for you. For example do you want to fix Software, hardware, Databases. Network engineering, system support, development, infrastructure management........... the list is huge.

Have you considered consulting an IT careers adviser?

No training yet. I want to get my A+ certification first then get others.

Iowan
January 18th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I don't want to take other classes other than the ones I want to take. Most programs have a curriculum which invariably includes courses most students dislike. Training from a recognized institution will probably carry more weight than a diploma-factory degree. Have you tried an internet search for computer schools in Houston? (I got about 52000 results).

Another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1910131) that might be of interest.

KiwiNZ
January 18th, 2012, 04:26 AM
No training yet. I want to get my A+ certification first then get others.

To be brutally honest A+ whilst it is a start I only accepted that for level 1 Help Desk jobs.

skierkyles
January 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Have you looked into your local community college?

It sounds like you are wanting to go into IT or Networking, I'm sure they have a degree for a similar field.

WinterMadness
January 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Have you looked into your local community college?

It sounds like you are wanting to go into IT or Networking, I'm sure they have a degree for a similar field.

this.

definitely meet someone who works at the community college near you, its a cheap way to test the waters, and theyre almost all better than for profit technical institutes. in addition, to me it sounds like you want to be a networking guy.