PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Johnny3
January 18th, 2012, 03:16 AM
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com When replaying to a question. Should I put the reply at the top of the questions or bottom?

Should I answer here? At the top.

On 12/15/2011 05:56 PM,*(*(((((& ^%$# wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have HBase installed on a a Ubuntu 11.04 box. It's having problems and
> they are due to the fact that ipv6 is enabled, the advice is to disable
> ipv6. The method of disabling appears to be adding the following three
> lines to sysctl.conf:
>
> ***net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1*
> *net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1*
> *net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

Or here? At the bottom?

Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

Iowan
January 18th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I've seen it both ways - the list to which I subscribe seems to post replies on top - easier than scrolling down through the "old stuff"... You might check other entries to see if there is a pattern.

Just my opinion...

saneearth
January 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I agree with posting at the top if it is a long quoted text, but if one is cutting out just a blurb, replying below would be appropriate. I don't believe there is really any set "rule" or etiquette in a forum or most. Now USENET is a different story. In some groups you will get bashed for top posting.

cariboo
January 18th, 2012, 06:53 AM
By tradition, replies should be posted at the end of a message, I personally find it a bit confusing when the reply is at the top of the message, as in some cases I have no idea what the reply is about, and I have to continually scroll down to see what the reply is referring to.

vasa1
January 18th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I prefer "bottom" posting as well.

I also wish people would trim the quoted portions and use short signatures. One Google group I visit has a frequent poster with a 28-line long signature.

lisati
January 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I prefer "bottom" posting as well.

I also wish people would trim the quoted portions and use short signatures.

I prefer doing it the "bottom" way. I think the "top" version is sometimes easier to do (or should that be lazier?) when responding by email.

I agree that people should get in the habit of trimming quoted portions: it can get extremely messy and confusing in email digests!

vasa1
January 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
There's a long thread over here with a couple of nice links:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Top-Posting-Can-we-have-an-LO-Mailing-List-Guidelines-Page-td3318305.html

And there's been quite an improvement there. Very little

>
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
> :D

If someone doesn't want to wade through that thread, here are a couple of links mentioned:
http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html
and
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists

andrew.46
January 19th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I personally believe that top posting should not ever be used and that some care and attention should be given to trimming the post being replied to.

szymon_g
January 20th, 2012, 02:04 AM
top- posting should be made a crime.
when you answer, you should always answer on the bottom. don't forget to crop the previous mail, so you wouldn't have to cite 352 lines just co add 2 or 3...