PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Ubuntu fresh install downgrade help

Whoop365
January 18th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Having over heating problems in 11, going to downgrade to 10.04

I would like to do this without having to do any backing up, or as little as possible. If i leave all of my documents and music in Home Folder, is it safe there?

Of do I need to make a new folder in my File System?

I guess i am just wondering if there are safe folders or areas that i can put everything into.

thank you

Bucky Ball
January 18th, 2012, 02:34 AM
A fresh install of 10.04 is the only option. There is no downgrade. You will need to backup whatever you want to preserve. I would suggest creating a /home partition during the install this time and you won't have to do this next time. You can do a fresh install and just not mark the /home partition for format and it will preserve the /home partition and use it for the new install.

You would still want to backup valuable data regardless as a precaution. Your other option is if you have enough space, install 10.04 alongside 11.10, boot into 10.04, open the home folder in you 11.10 install and transfer the files to the 10.04 home folder or /home partition, kill 11.10 and expand the 10.04 partitions into the free space created if required.

raja.genupula
January 18th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Downgrade means not possible . So You have only one choice that fresh install . But every time making Imp data as backup is a good thing . so take a backup and then go for installation . if you wanna keep the data in other partitions , you can do it happily .

All the best.:D:D

Whoop365
January 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Sorry, I already knew i needed a fresh install.

But does it format the drive? or will it install over 11 and leave other files.

raja.genupula
January 18th, 2012, 02:41 AM
@OP , hi look at what Bucky Ball posted . I mean the 1st paragraph . That's really helpful to you. :D