PDA

View Full Version : linux only flash player?

goodbye-windows(tm)
January 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Hi All,

I'm just curious whether I'm the only user who wishes there was an 'ubuntu only' flash player? Flash is riddled with technical issues, and adobe either can't or won't provide a rock solid and stable flash player.

The linux document viewer is a prime example of a successful implementation of a linux only type pdf viewer. The adobe pdf viewer is bloatware, +++!!! I'm so glad to have the linux document viewer instead of the adobe pdf reader.

Is there a means for individual users to 'request' features and/or a linux only flash viewer? Am I the only user who wishes there was a linux only flash player???

All comments welcomed.

Art

snowpine
January 17th, 2012, 07:18 PM
It exists already, it is called GNASH, unfortunately a lot of Flash sites just work better with the Adobe player.

3Miro
January 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Unlike flash, the pdf standard is well documented and hence making a pdf reader is not too hard. Flash on the other hand is a total mess.

BTW you can get the "linux" flash player on Windows too, just google evince for windows.

Kslawdog
January 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm using ubuntu 10.04 and I've never been successful at installing adobe flashplayer. I've only used ubunturestricetd. Everytime a new version of flashplayer comes out I just uninstall ubunturestricted and reinstall it. Works like a charm everytime. Linux having its own would be pretty sweet!

BrokenKingpin
January 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I can understand wanting a better flash player, but I don't see why it needs to be Linux specific. To be honest, flash sucks on all platforms. Hopefully the industry in general moves away from flash.

FuturePilot
January 17th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Good luck reverse engineering Flash without violating Adobe's EULA.

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Adobe's Linux version of the Flash plugin is Linux only and Linux specific. I don't think you are going to find anyone who will do a better job making Adobe's software than Adobe.

3Miro
January 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Adobe's Linux version of the Flash plugin is Linux only and Linux specific. I don't think you are going to find anyone who will do a better job making Adobe's software than Adobe.

I would have to disagree. As OP mentioned, pdf viewers like Evince are much better than Adobe's bloated one. It takes forever to open anything with Acrobat, Evince is almost instantaneous.

Flash does suck on all platforms and while I think a much better job can be done about it, I don't think it is reasonable to expect it any time soon.

FuturePilot
January 18th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I would have to disagree. As OP mentioned, pdf viewers like Evince are much better than Adobe's bloated one. It takes forever to open anything with Acrobat, Evince is almost instantaneous.

I'm still waiting for Evince to support forms. And also a browser plugin.

Lucradia
January 18th, 2012, 01:46 AM
GNASH can be run on Windows (http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/).

3Miro
January 18th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I'm still waiting for Evince to support forms. And also a browser plugin.

It is true that Adobe has a few extra features, but those can hardly account for the ultra slow load.

Johnny3
January 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I don't have hardly any problems with flash in 64 bit since I don't have to do all the tricks like a few years ago to make the 32 bit flash work in 64 bit Ubuntu.
Just me and God Bless Johnny3 65++

forrestcupp
January 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM

I guess it's personal preference. I always liked Adobe Reader better than Evince. Evince is pretty awesome, though.

saneearth
January 18th, 2012, 04:42 AM
GNASH can be run on Windows (http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/).

I didn't know that. I will have to take that to work and experiment.

BrokenKingpin
January 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I didn't know that. I will have to take that to work and experiment.
Why, people have already stated the official Adobe one works far better... unless you are just trying to avoid Adobe all together (which I can understand :P).

goodbye-windows(tm)
January 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hi All,

Looks like the flash problem is multifaceted and complex. It's unfortunate, but I guess there's little hope for rescuing the adobe flash player as flash is not an open format.

So, what we would need to do is to make a complete encoder/decoder pair, and offer them both to anyone who wants to use them. It's allot of work, and getting the support from big outfits such as youtube would be an issue as well.

But, there is hope. The HDTV video protocol is open and it is very efficient in terms of bandwidth. And, it's already here and in use. Obviously, we can't use the full bandwidth version of the digital tv protocol, but looking at the protocol would be a good place to start if someone was considering such a project.

Regards,

Art

Lucradia
January 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM
The HDTV video protocol is open

HDTV isn't a codec / protocol, it's a type of resolution. As for "Digital Television", HDMI, S-Video, VGA, Composite and Component, those are another story.

goodbye-windows(tm)
February 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM
It exists already, it is called GNASH, unfortunately a lot of Flash sites just work better with the Adobe player.

I want to try GNASH, especially since it's open sourced.

But, I want to get rid of the adobe player first. The software center allows me to uninstall the Adobe installer, but there appears to be no way of installing the player itself. How do I totally get rid of the adobe flash player?

TY.

Art

Lucradia
February 13th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I want to try GNASH, especially since it's open sourced.

But, I want to get rid of the adobe player first. The software center allows me to uninstall the Adobe installer, but there appears to be no way of installing the player itself. How do I totally get rid of the adobe flash player?

TY.

Art

libflashplayer.so is what you want to search for I believe.