PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update ubuntu 8.10

333ameeth
January 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
i am using ubuntu 8.10 and
i need to update ubuntu 8.10 but while updating got error from update manager

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

is there any way to update .
and also i want upgrade from ubuntu 8.10 to recent version , i read from ubuntu site that we can not upgrade directly to new version , it will go successively from
8.10 to 9.04 and so on , but when i tried to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 from update manager it shows one message with release note as heading

= Upgrading to a no longer supported version =

You are about to upgrade to a version of Ubuntu that is no longer
supported.

please tell me how to upgrade to ubuntu 11.

snowpine
January 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
8.10 reached its "end of life" April 2010 and is no longer supported with updates, sorry.

The oldest version with current support is 10.04, 11.10 is the current, and 12.04 is coming in April.

Dngrsone
January 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
What Snowpine said.

I'd recommend upgrading to 10.04

arpanaut
January 18th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Possible Solution: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Better bet would be to back up your important data, download the iso for what you want,
Install over the 8.10 partition, reinstall your programs and be done with it.

It will save you a lot of time and effort and bandwidth.
Not to mention the high probably of failure from doing so many upgrades in succession.

Just IMHO, your rig, your time, your choice.

Dngrsone
January 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=arpanaut;11619602
Better bet would be to back up your important data, download the iso for what you want,
Install over the 8.10 partition, reinstall your programs and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

This.

I should have been more specific-- my apologies.