PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu invoking article

TigerWolf
June 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM
After reading this article about 20 reasons not to use vista:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000829&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8

I promptly looked at other operating systems that where out there that would see me into the next year (even though vista isnt final, i still predict I will be annoyed by it).

Ive always been interested in linux but never knew where to start. A friend recommended ubuntu so i had to try it out. I had a few initial problems with the live install but these where minor and i was eager to use it. I also found a great guide that showed me the basics that i needed to know to get started with installing my nvidia drivers and other important features. The fact i have some basic understanding of UNIX from uni helped though.

My favorite thing is the apt-get command - it makes everything soooo easy and the support has been great, getting awnsers for any problem really quickly. I thank everyone in the irc channel on freenode for helping me out.

Ubuntu was a fantastic introduction to the linux world and I will enjoy the learning curve of getting the same functionality and power (well even more) than windows XP ( but still have dual boot just in case :D)

mostwanted
June 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Personally I prefer Synaptic to apt-get, but it's still all APT so yeah ;)

prizrak
June 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
After reading the article I am happy I am no longer a Windows user. I must say I always knew Vista was going to be a flop but I never expected MS to break it's own GUI so badly. I wouldn't call XP UI flawless but it wasn't a drastic change from the older Windows GUI's. Now there will be a learning curve to Vista. At this point alot of people would be better off trying Linux, there is also a learning curve but at least there is no annoying wizard.

What I do not understand in any way, shape or form is why in the world would MS not just adopt the SUDO model used by both Ubuntu and OS X? Why didn't they do what both of those do already with permissions? It is a very simple and effective model. System tasks require a password and everyday tasks do not. When I don't play around with my computer I don't even notice that my account is limited.

I also found it funny that MS told ISV's not to write to the registry and the system folders and they ignored it. The registry shouldn't have been there to begin with, there was never a point in it. The only possible benefit is that everything is in the same format but looking at Linux config files it seems that it happens anyway, it isn't too difficult to adapt to syntax of different config files as it is fairly similar.

P.S. I still don't understand how they managed to screw it up so badly should have just stolen everything from OS X.

Security has always been an afterthought for MS, now it has come back to bite them in the *** and they don't know what to do.

TigerWolf
June 8th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Personally I prefer Synaptic to apt-get, but it's still all APT so yeah ;)

Depends what your doing, but if you know the name of the program its really easy just to type it in rather than searching through all the categories.

RE:prizrak

Yes, we still have to remember its only a beta but still still they definately have screwed up and im pleased that we have other alternatives. Only dissapointing thing is that currently Windows is the gaming OS - hopefully this can can change (even though i can run some through cedega - its not the same)

briancurtin
June 8th, 2006, 03:47 AM
ive been sick of articles that are over 3 pages. 13 pages is ridiculous.

PapaWiskas
June 8th, 2006, 04:22 AM
When I first started running this Ubuntu, I was really missing my games in XP, but to be honest, I am glad I didnt do a dual boot, it forced me to learn things in Linux. And I learn and dabble everyday, so much so that I dont miss the games one bit. I am too busy tinkering and having a good time with Ubuntu, Xubuntu (which freakin rocks), and just the other day I got Openbox configured and running.

As for the article.....

ive been sick of articles that are over 3 pages. 13 pages is ridiculous.

NO FREAKIN DOUBT, my God...I mean c'mon!!!!