PDA

View Full Version : Razor-qt desktop environment

Linux_junkie
January 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Having downloaded and installed the Razor-qt desktop environment from ppa:razor-qt I have been spending the whole of the last seven days using it.

As with all other Ubuntu packages installation was very easy with no input from me and once installed I simply logged out of my current session and logged back in using razor-qt.

Upon first view it does not look much different (layout wise) to LXDE. It does not come with its own window manager but uses openbox by default. It also doesn't come with a file browser like Dolphin but I simply downloaded PCMANFM for file management.

Once I had got used to setting up certain applets for the taskbar I was able to use it just like any other desktop environment. It is not yet that customisible because I have not yet found a way of changing its icon theme but can change the window decorations.

Even though it is only at 0.4 I have found it to be a very stable desktop. No crashes to date of the environment.

If you are the type of person who likes tinkering with the desktop environment and would like to use one that is light on resources then I would highly recommend Razor-qt.

malspa
January 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for this info!

Did you install it in 10.04?

Also, I've read that it gives you a choice of window managers. For example, I'm assuming that you could have it use KDM if you're installing on a system with KDE present. Does that sound correct?

Linux_junkie
January 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM
No I installed it in 11.10. Yes you can change the window manager once you've installed it. I installed it within Xubuntu 11.10 and changed its window manager to the one used with XFCE (cannot remember its name LOL) preferred openbox so went back to that. Thinking of trying it with KWin.

BrokenKingpin
January 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM
There is another thread here currently going on about this here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1897600

FYI, the Xfce WM is Xfwm. I really like Xfwm because it is light, and has a built in compositor. Not sure how well it integrates into other DEs though.

c-1000
January 18th, 2012, 05:10 AM
For the record, KWin worked just fine for me (with KDM in Virtualbox)

nothingspecial
January 18th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Not a support request. Moved to the Cafe.