PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Low performance/out of synch problems

Killermaster
January 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi!
I just got enough pissed off on Microsoft for making Windows 7(which should be called 'for idiots ONLY) that I installed Ubuntu. And it is BETTER. Way better. I like it for it's customisabilaty and approach that I call 'Here's our OS, do anything you want with it'. I'm not pro, but I want to have a control.
OK so here's my problem. My Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity 3D. I installed it on my WD Elements 1 TB external HDD. I made 3 partitions there, 4 GB root, 2 GB swap and 40 GB home. Installation went perfectly (I installed boot file on external HDD to let BIOS decide what to boot). My Ubuntu boots very slowly (like 5 minutes) and for 3 minutes all I can see is "out of range" information on screen". Then system is slow... It is SLOWER than Win 7! My hardware:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+,
nVidia GeForce 7300 GT (registered OK)
Creative Audigy 4 (which is registered as Audigy 2 Value)
Internal Samsung 250GB HDD,
WD Elements 1TB external HDD,
I have tested Ubuntu if it recognises my graphics accelerator and it does (runs in 3D). My ext HDD has a following specs:
cached read: 530 MB/sec
buffered read: 56 MB/sec

ktucker5301
January 17th, 2012, 04:56 PM
could be the lightdm issue, or it is looking for a network that was once there and is not connected. not sure if that effects 11.04 though

Killermaster
January 18th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for a reply. The second issue is not present since I have two available networks, both of them use MAC and IP adress filtering. I have permission to only one so it is connected to it for good.
Has anyone got a solution? Maybe drivers?