PDA

View Full Version : Googles IP's used, open street maps being vandalized

sdowney717
January 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
There is an investigation going on, and it seems the vandalism may be very widespread. Open Street Maps claim that there are at least 17 accounts that have accessed its maps from the Google IPs to the tune of 100,000 times in the last year.

Now why would people have an interest in doing this?
I can think other mapping companies would. Perhaps they are paying people to do this. 100,000 times?? no way a single individual would do that.

http://www.slashgear.com/google-ip-addresses-link-indian-contractor-to-vandalism-of-open-street-map-17209533/

Smilax
January 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
i'm pretty sure google is keeping a close eye on open street map,

but i didn't think they would try that.

i do a lot of mapping and have been keeping an eye on google map's (and bing) to see if they steal my copyright'd data,

they are sneaky,

i put an old train station lost in a wood on osm,
2 months later google put the wood up on the map, but on the other side of a nearby road, now they've removed the wood but put the old trian station up pretty much at the precise spot where i maped it.

umm.

i also maped a forrest park which on google maps was just a load of tracks, looked terriiable.

now the've removed all there tracks and put the forest up, with just the main track remaining,
i bet after a while they'll put the tracks just like on open street map

i don't know what to do,

legally it's my data, but they 'could' have mapped it themselves. but i don't think so,

in the case of the old train station it was such an obscure place (last used around ww11) that it was on no-one radar, i'm sure if i didn't put it up, it wouldn't be on google maps now,

but how do i prove this?

ah well...