PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] No more Empathy integration with Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.10

mhsy
January 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Hello,

Recently (within the last two months), I can no longer see the Empathy icon in the Gnome 3 notification area. If I close the Empathy window, it just disappears; I can't even get to it via Alt+Tab. In addition, notifications when someone sends me a message don't open anything, though I am able to chat with these people directly through the notification area.

I checked on other forums and answer boards, and OPs which talk about the same problem tend to get diverted as "identical" to something where there is still an icon in the notification area.

Is there any way to get empathy back into the notification area, or to integrate it properly? I am not sure what broke it...

Thanks!

PrinceJoseph
March 2nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi, m new here and new to using ubuntu. After updating as usual and starting Empathy, it just disappears from the workspace after a few seconds though u can get it by Alt+Tab but even before u're able to check who's online, it disappears again though its available in the launcher. I've looked through many posts and other forums regarding the issue all many have similar complaints. It has also been listed as a unsolved problem/bug. I'm using ubuntu 11.10 just yesterday, I happen to 'right click' on 'Chat' under the 'Message' icon on the right-hand top corner of the screen instead of the usual 'left click' and to my surprise, Empathy didn't disappear thereafter!

sazawal
June 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I have exactly the same problem with Gnome 3 shell in Ubuntu 12.04. Any help?

markbl
June 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Recently (within the last two months), I can no longer see the Empathy icon in the Gnome 3 notification area. If I close the Empathy window, it just disappears; I can't even get to it via Alt+Tab. In addition, notifications when someone sends me a message don't open anything, though I am able to chat with these people directly through the notification area.

Don't quote me but I think this is how it is intended now. Empathy is "integrated" into gnome-shell. Once you configure chat in "online accounts" then your status is set via the me menu (top right), new chats will pop up in the notification window, and you can see your contact list at any time by starting empathy from the launcher (or via search).

So it all "just works". What is your actual problem? Empathy is not intended to be displayed with a sys tray icon anymore.