PDA

View Full Version : Installer bloating?

magmon
January 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Now, I'm no classic Ubuntu user (having begun with 8.04), but I can't help but feel that the installation disks have become awkward, to say the least. I miss the nice and simple "click five times and wait" feel of the old disks, but can't bring myself to go back to their GUIs xD. I also miss the useful information once contained within or near the progress bars. We're now left with a windows style uninformative colour space instead of a true progress bar.
Anyone else feel the same or have additional fond memories? :popcorn:

nathan.the.sane
January 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
The behaviour of the installer was never really important to me, as long as it got the job done.

Though one thing I thought was cool about the new installer is that it starts the installation and then gets all your user information while it is installing. Saves some time.

sffvba[e0rt
January 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Though one thing I thought was cool about the new installer is that it starts the installation and then gets all your user information while it is installing. Saves some time.

I also love the above feature :)

As for the installer, I am sure the alternative disc must still have the old way (but I may be mistaken). Looking at Ubuntu's target market it makes sense to have the current type of installation process.

V for Vincent
January 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I love the newer installers. Each time I install a new version, I'm pleasantly surprised by at least one feature. So I hope they keep moving in the same direction in that regard.

BrokenKingpin
January 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I really like the installer these days... easy and fast. I also like how you can choose to install the restricted drivers/codecs right from the installer. This simplifies things a bit for new users as they won't have to mess around getting their video cards working. I really do think it is these small things that make Ubuntu stand out from the other distros.

Also, if you really don't like the new installer, just use the alternative install disk, which is the text mode install, which hasn't changed in quite some time.