PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want to get rid of Windows

Rayon817
January 17th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I'm completely new to Ubuntu, but I love it so far. I currently have it installed on my laptop. I plan on buy an HDD for my desktop just to run Ubuntu.

When I installed it (11.04) on my laptop, I chose to install it alongside Windows 7. Since I upgraded 11.04 to 11.10, I haven't been seeing an option to boot to windows, but that doesn't matter to me. What I want to do is completely get Windows off and just have Ubuntu on my laptop. How do I go about doing this?

UltimateCat
January 17th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I am by no means a Ubuntu expert but I can tell you this:

It is a delicate task to : " delete a partition" or to "reformat a partition"

You may even want to consider paying a computer tech that is certified to do it.

The "Ubuntu Linux Bible" has been a help to me and "The Official Ubuntu Book" as well.
Gaining knowledge is one of the best things we can do for ourselves and in the future ( for myself) the knowledge has prevented me from making mistakes that could harm your OS.

Try going to Google or Bing or you may find help in the :

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Hope this helps

Scott Baker
January 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Howdy, and welcome to the Ubuntu ranks. If what you say is true, it actually very easy to do. Keep in mind though that Ubuntu is not Windows. If you're using Windows for school, work or gaming, you may not be happy with a complete switch to Ubuntu. If on the other hand, your computing needs include the normal stuff (word processing, web browsing, photo work, etc) then you should be quite happy with the switch. Since you already have Ubuntu on a machine, let's work with that machine. Here's what to do. Go to the Ubuntu website at http://www.ubuntu.com/ (http://www.ubuntu.com/) and get a copy of either 11.04 or 11.10, and save it to your desktop (this makes it easy to find). Next since you say you're already on 11.10, go to the small circle near the top of the screen, on the left, and click it. In the resulting screen, you'll find a listing "more apps" and click that. A little way down the resulting list, you'll see a heading "installed" Next to that, you'll see "see *** more results". Click that statement. Once it expands, near the bottom of that group, you'll see "startup disk creator". Click on that, and you should see the following screen;

CD/Drive image is the Ubuntu ISO that you saved to your desktop. Device is where you're going to stick that image. Some prefer flash/thumb drives, some CDs if you choose flash/thumb drive, go with at least 2 gig. Once your device has the ISO on it, you can live boot, and install. If you choose to try, restart your machine before you choose to install. If you install while in the try mode, it seems to take longer to install. You'll have the option during set up to do several things with your hard drive. Just select "use entire drive", put in the little bit of information that is required during set-up, and you should have a new OS ready to run in about 90 minutes (keep in mind that fine tuning afterwards can take 1 or more hours). ***PLEASE NOTE*** This will wipe your hard drive clean and do what's called a fresh install. It WILL wipe ALL files off of the drive. If you have files that you want to save (photos, vids, music, etc) do it now, before you start the above process. Once it's done, there is NO going back. Good luck.