PDA

View Full Version : Internet Blackout.

Little Pony
January 17th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I don't know if I can post this here or not. If I shouldn't have I apologize.

Congress is about to pass an Internet censorship bill. Many websites including Mozilla, Reddit, Wikipedia, Wordpress and others will be shutting down on Jan. 18th in protest. Please tell everyone you know and ask them to join.

http://sopastrike.com/

|{urse
January 17th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Thanks, I have posted this on my fb. :)

guyver_dio
January 17th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I don't see what staying off for a period of 12 hours is going to accomplish, well maybe if google took down their search engine for that long.

Linuxratty
January 17th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't know if I can post this here or not. If I shouldn't have I apologize.

Congress is about to pass an Internet censorship bill. Many websites including Mozilla, Reddit, Wikipedia, Wordpress and others will be shutting down on Jan. 18th in protest. Please tell everyone you know and ask them to join.

http://sopastrike.com/

Not anymore they are not, at least not for now.

http://www.alternet.org/story/153776/victory_for_internet_freedom:_obama_announces_oppo sition_to_sopa,_congress_shelves_bill

IWantFroyo
January 17th, 2012, 01:09 AM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/sopa-shelved-for-now/

This thread deals with politics. Tread carefully, or 3... 2... 1...

Lucradia
January 17th, 2012, 02:56 AM
China has censorship, and they're doing better than us :V

Why stop it?

wolfen69
January 17th, 2012, 03:06 AM
China has censorship, and they're doing better than us :V

Why stop it?
I guess you didn't want this thread to continue. 3...2...1

magmon
January 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I'm gonna guess those countdowns were in units of hours =P. I can't really voice an opinion here without bringing the banhammer's full force, but I will agree that stopping this act would be beneficial.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 17th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Not anymore they are not, at least not for now.

http://www.alternet.org/story/153776/victory_for_internet_freedom:_obama_announces_oppo sition_to_sopa,_congress_shelves_bill

Keep in mind that's just SOPA. There's still its evil twin, PIPA, and really that it got this far shows there is _not_ enough awareness about this problem. This is likely to be tried again once things cool off, so we'd best come out ahead.

Dangertux
January 17th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Man...if wordpress shuts down I'm going back to self hosting. Yay we're going to shut your website down to protest something you don't care about. A+ business guys!

CharlesA
January 17th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Keep in mind that's just SOPA. There's still its evil twin, PIPA, and really that it got this far shows there is _not_ enough awareness about this problem. This is likely to be tried again once things cool off, so we'd best come out ahead.
Indeed.

Man...if wordpress shuts down I'm going back to self hosting. Yay we're going to shut your website down to protest something you don't care about. A+ business guys!

Yep. There was talk of wikipedia doing the same. That just blows me mind.

Friendly note: I will leave this open for now, but y'all know the rules about politics.

Copper Bezel
January 17th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Wikipedia is doing it.

Yay we're going to shut your website down to protest something you don't care about. A+ business guys!
It's self-preservation. I mean, there's an altruistic side to it, but the companies doing the blackouts are companies that stand to be harmed by the legislation. If you're using the service, they're arguing, you do have a stake in the matter.

Dangertux
January 17th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Wikipedia is doing it.

It's self-preservation. I mean, there's an altruistic side to it, but the companies doing the blackouts are companies that stand to be harmed by the legislation. If you're using the service, they're arguing, you do have a stake in the matter.

You have a point, and it's a free service so I have to deal with it. However, I still think there are better alternatives to "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

sffvba[e0rt
January 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
You have a point, and it's a free service so I have to deal with it. However, I still think there are better alternatives to "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

I think that getting people upset is part of what they want to achieve. The argument is that this bill may have exactly this outcome for sites like Wordpress. They may have to shutdown completely and that means your site will be down for good (or until you move it.)

Note: I am not saying it is a good idea, but I do think I see why.

guyver_dio
January 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Some may still go ahead with the strike cause SOPA been put on hold, it's hasn't been rejected. Some are also thinking it could be a ploy to get PIPA to pass, bring in SOPA, create havoc, then after it cools down try PIPA. Just have to wait and see what happens.

I personally don't see what taking their services down is going to achieve, it's gonna make ripples sure but it's also going to cost them alot.

On the other hand it could attract attention, they'll be the talk of the internet and have their names appear in all sorts of news mediums across the globe. Not bad publicity.

forrestcupp
January 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Many websites including ... Wordpress and others will be shutting down on Jan. 18th in protest.

Man...if wordpress shuts down I'm going back to self hosting. Yay we're going to shut your website down to protest something you don't care about. A+ business guys!That's a load of horse crap. It's ok if they just shut down their own web site, but if they also shut down hosting for everyone, that's completely unbelievable. I personally use Wordpress, but I host it myself. I feel sorry for all of the people who use their hosting.

Wikipedia is doing it.But Wikipedia is not screwing with other people's web sites, like Wordpress.

It's self-preservation. I mean, there's an altruistic side to it, but the companies doing the blackouts are companies that stand to be harmed by the legislation. If you're using the service, they're arguing, you do have a stake in the matter.Yeah, but if my personal web site is based on and hosted on their service (Wordpress), then even if I have a stake in this, I'd like to have a say. What if my business's web site is hosted on Wordpress, and I depend on it being up on that Wednesday for revenue to keep my business alive? I don't give a rat's behind if I have a stake in a bill in Congress if Wordpress's sovereign actions are going to destroy my company.

Hopefully, they're just shutting down their own page, but keeping their hosting up.

3Miro
January 17th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think the protest definitely makes sense. Under the bill, anyone having a link to a site that has a link to a site with something pirated can be shut down. This means that is SOPA passes, then Google, Wikipedia and a large number of others can be completely shut down. Hence the protest: shut down for a day to let people see the ramifications of the bill.

Ozor Mox
January 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM
That's a load of horse crap. It's ok if they just shut down their own web site, but if they also shut down hosting for everyone, that's completely unbelievable. I personally use Wordpress, but I host it myself. I feel sorry for all of the people who use their hosting.

But Wikipedia is not screwing with other people's web sites, like Wordpress.

Yeah, but if my personal web site is based on and hosted on their service (Wordpress), then even if I have a stake in this, I'd like to have a say. What if my business's web site is hosted on Wordpress, and I depend on it being up on that Wednesday for revenue to keep my business alive? I don't give a rat's behind if I have a stake in a bill in Congress if Wordpress's sovereign actions are going to destroy my company.

Hopefully, they're just shutting down their own page, but keeping their hosting up.

I doubt they would shut down the websites of any paying customers, that would just be silly, but they may shut down any sites being hosted for free. If your business website demanding high uptime is running on free hosting then I think some head examining is in order.

a2j
January 17th, 2012, 05:31 PM
really?? "politic" related posts get deleted in a politic related thread?

s.fox
January 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM
From the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics.

The two tech and political issues are closely intertwined, I feel rather closely. Other platforms exist to discuss SOPA / PIPA. This forum is not an appropriate place to discuss such issues.

Thread Closed. Any further threads on this topic will also be closed.