PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Hull: Need ISP advice.

Fingers & Thumbs
January 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hi guys, I'm relocating to Hull in a few weeks time and I understand that comms and internet are pretty much monopolised by KCOM, although I have been told there is an alternative. I'm just wondering if there is anybody here in the Hull area that can offer any more substantial advice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cariboo
January 17th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Hi guys, I'm relocating to Hull in a few weeks time and I understand that comms and internet are pretty much monopolised by KCOM, although I have been told there is an alternative. I'm just wondering if there is anybody here in the Hull area that can offer any more substantial advice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hull, Quebec?

mips
January 17th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Hull, Quebec?

Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_UK_locator_map_2010.svg/200px-East_Riding_of_Yorkshire_UK_locator_map_2010.svg.p ng

At least that's where KCOM is located.

Looks like you are moving into a broadband black hole. Only alternatives seem to be wireless/cellular broadband.

carl4926
January 17th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I'm not in Hull
But I use UKFSN. Unfortunately I only get ADSL MAX but UKFSN supply entanet broadband to me and it's faultless.

I've done the rounds with UK ISP's and they are all a bunch of sharks.
4yrs with UKFSN and no complaints from me

ugm6hr
January 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I lived in Hull 6 or 7 years ago, and still have friends there - so can ask for more advice.
However, I have to say that I found Kingston Comms very good at the time I was there. I believe it is a remnant from the days when BT was privatised around the UK - Hull decided not to be included.

WRDN
January 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm living in Hull currently (studying at University). You are correct, Kingston Communications/Karoo is the only provider available.

Fingers & Thumbs
January 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Lol, excellent point Cariboo, note to self: I'm an idiot. :-D

Fingers & Thumbs
January 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses folks, I never expected so many. My suspicions are now confirmed. I guess KC it is then.

mips
January 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I guess KC it is then.

Unless you are happy with wireless (Air Net & Hull Broadband) then yes KC is in your future ;)

satanselbow
January 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Something wrong with VirginMedia? Stick your postcode into the box on their website and see if they have coverage ;)

Can't fault them myself - everytime I invent something to complain about they upgrade my package :D

Fingers & Thumbs
January 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm currently with virginmedia, and have had no problems with their service whatsoever and would have chosen to stay with them; although I find their call centres a complete joke I have fortunately only had to call them once in the two years I have been with them. The problem is that when BT took over the individual municipal comms companies, Hull decided not to go that way, and as a result is left with a company that effectively monopolises comms in the area (although they say it is because they're hardware is not compatible without expensive retrofits.) YAY for monopolies...NOT! Thanks once again for your input everybody.

mips
January 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
(although they say it is because they're hardware is not compatible without expensive retrofits.)

That can't be the reason, they ran the same marconi kit as the rest of the country and then upgraded to next generation soft switches & stuff which the rst of the country also uses. In the Telecoms field the kit has to be able to interact with kit from other vendors else things would be a nightmare out there, hence standards bodies like the ITU(ccitt) etc