PDA

View Full Version : Moving Ubuntu onto different hardware?

mr-woof
January 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Everning all,

what do you think would happen if I moved my 11.10 Ubuntu installation onto a new Cpu/Mobo without reinstalling?

I have a feeling it will probably be fine, but I thought I'd best ask the question before I go ahead with this :)

CharlesA
January 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM
It would probably be fine.

Might have to mess with network settings, but other than that, it should be fine.

mr-woof
January 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks Charles, I was hoping someone will say that. Windows will be a different story, but I've got a plan for that.

I plan to do this when I next get a chance, so I'll post my results.

BrokenKingpin
January 16th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I have swapped out a mobo and CPU on a Debian install and it booted back up like nothing changed... it was great. Doing something like this under Windows would most likely end up in a BSOD.

FuturePilot
January 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM
It should be fine. I've moved installs between different hardware and it worked fine. The only thing I had to do was delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules and then reboot because the networking didn't work. It automatically gets recreated on boot with the correct information.

CharlesA
January 16th, 2012, 10:40 PM
It should be fine. I've moved installs between different hardware and it worked fine. The only thing I had to do was delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net.rules and then reboot because the networking didn't work. It automatically gets recreated on boot with the correct information.

That would be the one I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of. Thanks. :)

741Baus
January 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM
It should work , I recently had an m/b failure bad memory slot computer wouldn't boot to post , a new m/b + ram and original cpu ,booted in to 10.04 system automatically ran disk check .
With in minutes I was up and running no problems.