PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu from a live CD

jondavey
January 16th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Hi, Ive been using various linuxes for a while now but I still manage to come up with pleanty of questions, like this one; I am running 'puppy' from a live CD and I want to download and install Ubuntu onto my hdd. I've tried downloading the ISO but I get the message that there isn't enough room on the disk....which makes sence if the system isn't using the harddrive to store any data. How, then, do I tell the browser to dowload the Ubuntu ISO onto the old windows 'C' partition (I still have the broken instill ation if windoes sitting on the hdd). Or is the something elise I should be doing? Should I be trying to point the download somewhere else?
THanks in advance for any help or advise, JOndavey.

kc1di
January 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hi, Ive been using various linuxes for a while now but I still manage to come up with pleanty of questions, like this one; I am running 'puppy' from a live CD and I want to download and install Ubuntu onto my hdd. I've tried downloading the ISO but I get the message that there isn't enough room on the disk....which makes sence if the system isn't using the harddrive to store any data. How, then, do I tell the browser to dowload the Ubuntu ISO onto the old windows 'C' partition (I still have the broken instill ation if windoes sitting on the hdd). Or is the something elise I should be doing? Should I be trying to point the download somewhere else?
THanks in advance for any help or advise, JOndavey.

Hi JOnadavey,
Well first we need to know which browser your using to attempt the download.
If It's FireFox go to tools>options> and about halfway down the box will be a dialogue with several options as to were to store the downloaded file. If it's Chrome or Chroium go to the little wrench in the right cornner and scroll down to under the hood you find a spot there to enter your wishes.
Good luck.

nipunshakya
January 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
First off all, good to see your first post.
Are u saying that you are downloading the iso when u are in your LiveCD session? if so, why don't you directly install ubuntu from the liveCD you are currently running instead of downloading another one.?
Still, in your liveCD session, try running the Disk Usage Analyzer or gparted to view if you really don't have free space left in your hard disk or not..... :D
U said you have a broken windows installation in your hdd. What kind of broken installation? can u explain please...? Because if it is no use to you now(wish for only ubuntu without dual-boot), why don't u format the drive and partition to something like ext3 or ext4 (depending on your system) for future use in ubuntu installation?

Regards, WinuxUser

kc1di
January 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
First off all, good to see your first post.
Are u saying that you are downloading the iso when u are in your LiveCD session?
Hi WinuxUser,
I believe he said he is using the Puppy Live CD. Not the Ubuntu.
Cheers,
Dave

nipunshakya
January 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
^^^^ Sorry.

@OP : please don't get confused with me using Ubuntu instead of puppy. Sorry.

Thanks

jondavey
January 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM
HI, thanks for all of the replies. Let me try to address all of them in one go. The browser I was using is 'seamonkey' so prehaps if I install firefox the solution with that might work.
As for the broken windows I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it. THe current instillation has never worked proprely. I have put it down to having an old BIOS which I can't flash and not having the origional chipset drivers. Clearly this isn't why the system eventually gave up on me though, that remains a mystery.
To sum up I think I'll trythe firefox route...or prehaps I'll visit 'linuxemprouium' and buy myself a new ubuntu disk :)

jondavey
January 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hi JOnadavey,

If It's FireFox go to tools>options> and about halfway down the box will be a dialogue with several options as to were to store the downloaded file.
Good luck.

Actually, no there isn't. What there is, is;
Web Search
Downloads (with no menu for any options)
Add-Ons
Error Console
Page Info
Start Private Browsing
Clear Recent History.

Unfortunatly the menu that you said was there isn't...... :(

kc1di
January 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Actually, no there isn't. What there is, is;
Web Search
Downloads (with no menu for any options)
Add-Ons
Error Console
Page Info
Start Private Browsing
Clear Recent History.

Unfortunatly the menu that you said was there isn't...... :(

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/index.html?affiliate=distrowatch

If it's puppy's fire fox go to edit> preferences> check ask where to download.
if you want the to Buy the CD I'd recommend OSDisc.com at
http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/index.html?affiliate=distrowatch

jondavey
January 17th, 2012, 07:04 PM
..yes, you're right, it's a slightly different process with the Puppy firefox but I tried that so I do now have the Ubuntu ISO in the downloads folder of the broken windows system. THe thing now is, how do I write this to CD whilst using a live CD version of Linux. I can't eject the Puppy CD to burn the ISO, can I ?
Thanks, JOn DAVEY.

kc1di
January 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
..yes, you're right, it's a slightly different process with the Puppy firefox but I tried that so I do now have the Ubuntu ISO in the downloads folder of the broken windows system. THe thing now is, how do I write this to CD whilst using a live CD version of Linux. I can't eject the Puppy CD to burn the ISO, can I ?
Thanks, JOn DAVEY.

With puppy you can eject the cd because puppy run in ram.
I haven't used puppy in a while so forget what burning software they use now. But what ever it is it will burn an ISO.

Dave :)

jondavey
January 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM
THanks a lot for everyons help. I am now running a nice new instillation of Ubuntu.
THanks.

nipunshakya
January 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
^^^Please mark your thread as [SOLVED] if your problem has been solved. Glad we were of some help to you. Goodluck.

Regards,WinuxUser