PDA

View Full Version : New To Ubuntu #1: Installing Ubuntu 11.10

dabomb1022
January 16th, 2012, 02:50 AM
This was taken from my blog which I just made yesterday. Feel free to view the post on my site:
http://legitnoob.com/2012/01/new-to-ubuntu-1-installing-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

For the start of my weekly Linux posts, I decided to make a series on getting started with Ubuntu. It's my personal favorite Linux operating system. Before going into installing, let's step back for a minute and talk about why one would want to install it.

Why Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is good for many reasons. First off, it's completely free and maintained by the community that uses it. It is, for the most part, virus-free due to only having 1% of the computer market share. The interface is also much better than Windows because it is so*versatile. You can make Ubuntu look simple, or make the design complex and cool looking. It can also help you get better with your computer skills as you'll learn more about how to use the Terminal (command line). The main reason I use it though, is because it never gets slow like Windows tends to get over time and because I feel like I'm apart of something awesome. Everyone who uses it is part of a community. Each person seems much more helpful than any other*operating*system's users.You can trust what I'm saying since I've used Ubuntu since back at Ubuntu 9.04.

What do the numbers mean?

This is a little off topic but you may be wondering what 11.10, 11.04, 10.10, and so on mean. Ubuntu has a new release ever six months (much more than Windows' 3 year-ish release*cycle). The numbers correspond with the year and month of the release. That means Ubuntu 11.10 was released in October 2011. Each release comes out in either October or April.

Before we start...

There is more than one way to install Ubuntu and I think we should go over that first. The first method is easiest for noobs. It installs Ubuntu within Windows like any Windows application would be installed. To use it just choose Ubuntu from the Windows boot manager on boot-up. The downside to this is mainly that you'll have a slower experience due to Ubuntu not getting a dedicated partition.

The second option is to install it the way all operating systems should be. That would be installing it on a dedicated partition. I would recommend this option to only people that are legit noobs (see what I did there?) as in people who have done this before.

After reading both of those I'd recommend installing it using Wubi. That is what the Windows installer is called. This way if you don't like Ubuntu you can easily remove it later. In this post I will go over installing it via Wubi. In the post next week I'll show you how to put it on a dedicated partition.

Getting started with Wubi

It isn't too hard to install Ubuntu using Wubi. First off click http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer. That will take you to the download page for Wubi. Download it and open it. Choose a username and password for Ubuntu. Make sure to remember this password since you'll be using it much more than you do in Windows. Now choose how much space you want to give Ubuntu. I'd give it at least 20gb's. Ubuntu takes up about 8gb's just to install it so that will leave you 12gb's. *After clicking next you'll have to wait a while for Ubuntu to download.

After it's done installing you're all setup and ready to use Ubuntu! Restart your computer and select Ubuntu from the boot menu. Tinker with it until next week or hold off on installing until I show you how to install it on a dedicated partition. If you don't like the look, I'll go over how to change it soon. Leave a comment if this post helped or if you have a question!</p>