PDA

View Full Version : Introduce a friend to Ubuntu day.

RichardUK
January 15th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think there should be a "Introduce a friend to Ubuntu day" event.
Why? Here are a couple of cases from my world.....

1) My dad used to break he's Windows PC's on a regular basis (around every three months) by installing rubbish apps. I got fed up fixing he's PC and when he broke he's new laptop and had no restore disk I got him to try Ubuntu. This was over two years ago now and he's laptop is still going strong on the original install.

2) A donated laptop to a friend. A friend who did not have much spending money needed a better laptop, he's had died. So I gave him a spare DELL that I was not using, a little old but in it's day a fast PC. Installed Ubuntu, did not think to tell him it was not Windows. A few months later he mailed me asking if it was able to run a game he wanted, "it's not running windows, it's running Linux". He replied, "What's Linux?". Being a non geek he had not noticed that the laptop was not running windows!

3) Recently my bro built a new PC, not wanting to buy another version of Windows and having seen what I do with my system he tried Ubuntu, after a couple of weeks he said "why did I ever waste money on Windows!"

These days most play games on XBox or Playstation so less need have Windows for DX games, so go on, introduce a relative to Linux and free their mind and their wallet. For the price of a Windows licence they can stick 16gig of ram in their PC, a much better use of money me thinks. ;)

Greenborn
January 15th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Darn good idea. I'm going to give my old desktop PC with 10.04 on it to my nephew to mess around with. He loves computers and asked what Linux was on Christmas. He'll at least learn something new.

UltimateCat
January 16th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Richarduk:
Those were really good and positive stories!

I too introduced my boyfriend to Ubuntu and he likes it too.

Introduce a friend to Ubuntu day sounds like a great idea.

You could write to your friend that didn't realize he was using Linux and incourage him to write right here in our forum. ( if you want to; no stress )

Positive feedback is always good.

Just curious how long did your friend play games and etc. before he noticed he had Linux at his touch?

Quadunit404
January 16th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Mmmmm... no thanks, I try to avoid these kinds of things and would rather not infringe on the freedoms of others to use whatever OS they want to use because OS A is free while OS B is something you have to pay for and therefore OS A is somehow better just because it's free; if the friend wants to use OS B, that's fine with me. It really shouldn't be that hard to accept that one person wants to use one OS while you want to use another; it's their choice, not yours.

Basher101
January 16th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Mmmmm... no thanks, I try to avoid these kinds of things and would rather not infringe on the freedoms of others to use whatever OS they want to use because OS A is free while OS B is something you have to pay for and therefore OS A is somehow better just because it's free; if the friend wants to use OS B, that's fine with me. It really shouldn't be that hard to accept that one person wants to use one OS while you want to use another; it's their choice, not yours.

+1 let them use whatever they want. I am very passive about this, i sometimes suggest Ubuntu to ppl that:

1.have tons of viruses
2.do not play games alot (or at all)
3.only do the usual stuff (surfing, listening to music, writing basic documents)

and when they have a problem i simply suggest they could try linux as it could make things alot easier for them. I am not forcing them in any way to use it

just my 2 cents

regards

Greenborn
January 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM

It's more or less just exposing a person to something new. Not necessarily getting the person to change what OS they use. In my case my nephew is exposed to Windows on a daily basis at school and on his laptop at home. He's also exposed to OS X since every other computer in his house is an Apple. Giving him a chance to mess around with Linux is just another learning experience. I prefer OS X as my daily OS but I do like to use and tinker with Linux. I have a Windows OS out of necessity for school and work.

Double.J
January 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I like the idea of sharing knowledge... It's what the forums all about right? :)

I find Human curiosity does this for me - when people see me on my netbook running something they don't know, they'll often just ask... Well unless I'm in the terminal, then they stay the hell away in case they catch geek!

I introduced my old flatmate to Open SUSE by accident - he just saw my laptop running "some proper retro screen saver" while I was cooking... and the rest was history!

Lead by example... or retro screen savers!

Basher101
January 16th, 2012, 01:26 AM
i never tried SUSE as i dont wanna wait to download 4 gigs...how is it? (just put it short, i might try it next week or so..)

Greenborn
January 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I like the idea of sharing knowledge... It's what the forums all about right? :)

I find Human curiosity does this for me - when people see me on my netbook running something they don't know, they'll often just ask... Well unless I'm in the terminal, then they stay the hell away in case they catch geek!

I introduced my old flatmate to Open SUSE by accident - he just saw my laptop running "some proper retro screen saver" while I was cooking... and the rest was history!

Lead by example... or retro screen savers!

Well stated!

Double.J
January 16th, 2012, 01:37 AM
i never tried SUSE as i dont wanna wait to download 4 gigs...how is it? (just put it short, i might try it next week or so..)

I'm biased as I've been a fan for over two years. It's "difference" in the linux world is YaST - a control panel that manages software and hardware settings. Other than YaST, its basically just an RPM ditro, so be sure to add repos!

I'd say just try it to get your own opinion - you can get live gnome or live KDE (SUSE default) CD's from the downloads (http://software.opensuse.org/121/en) page :)

Basher101
January 16th, 2012, 01:40 AM
i must get down one weekend and try all the more known distros, from SUSE to Slackware and over to Fedora..and some of the smaller ones for my laptop (like puppy). Anyways, to get back to topic, i like the idea of a "Introduce a friend to Ubuntu day"^^

Lucradia
January 16th, 2012, 01:43 AM
My friends are all geeks, they know about linux, they prefer windows due to they mostly all game. One uses MacOS though.

wolfen69
January 16th, 2012, 06:06 AM

They also have a CD size image. Just download the live CD's. (below the dvd link) http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Lucradia
January 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
They also have a CD size image. Just download the live CD's. (below the dvd link) http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Kind of like how Fedora's website doesn't tell you the LiveCDs can also be installed to harddrive when downloading spins, etc.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
January 16th, 2012, 08:09 AM
My friends are all geeks, they know about linux, they prefer windows due to they mostly all game. One uses MacOS though.
One of my work buddies wanted to play some Modern Warfare 2 with me the other day (we've played together before). I told him that I couldn't because I didn't have Windows installed on my machine. He said, "oh what are you using". "Linux", I replied. He said, "oh one of those guys who would rather program drivers on his machine, than have them and use them on his machine." I replied, "Yep."

Greenborn
January 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
One of my work buddies wanted to play some Modern Warfare 2 with me the other day (we've played together before). I told him that I couldn't because I didn't have Windows installed on my machine. He said, "oh what are you using". "Linux", I replied. He said, "oh one of those guys who would rather program drivers on his machine, than have them and use them on his machine." I replied, "Yep."

LOL. Sometimes, yep sometimes.

RichardUK
January 16th, 2012, 08:04 PM

What?! Your reply has kind of floored me. All I was suggesting was to show a friend Ubuntu. It was a light hearted suggestion with a nod towards how far Linux has come, bit like you would show a friend the new TV you just brought. :)

BrokenKingpin
January 16th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have stopped trying to promote Linux at this point (at least to my non-tech friends/family). Once you get someone to switch to or try Linux, every little issue becomes your issue and I just don't have the time for that.

Most of my friends already use Linux, and the rest have dependencies on Windows for stuff like Netflix. I know a number of people that would consider moving to Ubuntu if Netflix worked on it... it's a damn shame that Netflix and similar services won't get their **** together and be truly cross platform (which you would expect from browser application).

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 16th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Why do we need a special day for this? I introduce Linux to friends whenever it is appropriate to do so. I give them information, sometimes a CD/DVD when they want to try it, and then leave it up to them to choose to use it or not.

Lucradia
January 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Why do we need a special day for this? I introduce Linux to friends whenever it is appropriate to do so. I give them information, sometimes a CD/DVD when they want to try it, and then leave it up to them to choose to use it or not.

Yep, this is why, "Don't preach, mention" is our thing.