PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Get rid of 'Kubuntu Netbook'

surenot
January 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
After installing Kubuntu 11.10 on my computer, I noticed that the default desktop layout it choose was the 'Netbook KDE'. I know that this has been optimized for the small screens on a netbook, but it is not a layout I'm particularly happy with, and I would like it if I could change it back to the standard KDE and Plasma layout. However, even after logging out and trying to log in under all the different options (even the failsafe), I was unable to change it to the normal KDE interphase. Is it possible, and if so, how do I go about doing it?

lolpenguin
January 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
EDIT!!
Launch your fav. package manager, then install plasma-desktop if it is not, the log out, log into "KDE Plasma Workspace" then uninstall plasma-netbook.

surenot
January 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
It worked halfway. Unfortunately, uninstalling plasma-netbook also unistalled kde-desktop or some other program like it. Now, whenever I log in, I am greeted by the wallpaper and my cursor, and no menus or anything.

inobe
January 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
don't know what you you've done, but you can switch between netbook and plasma in system settings> workspace behavior> workspace> workspace type.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8980/workspacet.jpg

Hylas de Niall
January 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Yep.
I got that too when i test drove Mageia 1 a while back, and it's a bit disconcerting to live test KDE on a netty with the normal desktop, and after install it just dumps you into the netbook interface. I was like: 'Wha?', then i pounded Google until it showed me the solution that inobe posted.