PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Launch pad and CCSM

chenxinghao
January 14th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Installed Ubuntu 11.10 on an IBM ThinkCentre A50P desktop, along side with Windows XP Pro on the master HD, on the slave HD with dual-boot option several days ago, with the default settings (I did not key in anything to change) in the installation process. No tweaking on my part of any kind.

I have three questions related to the desktop:

(1) After opening the Home folder for the first time after the PC is turned on, the icons of the master and slave HDs would show up in the Launcher pad/bar, further crowding the space which is already limited. Functionally speaking, they are basically the same as the Home folder. Right-click on the HD icons in the Launcher produces the name of the HD and the "Eject" option. What can I do to not letting the two HD icons to appear in or to remove them after they pop into the Launcher space?

(2) I want to reduce the icon size in the Launcher. As some posts suggested I installed the CCSM via the Software Center and open it and changed the icon size from 48 to 32; clicked two more buttons following the instructions and closed the CCSM application. The icons 's size remain the same as before. Then I rebooted the PC and opened CCSM and it reads the icon size to 32; but the Launcher icons are still as big as before (at 48). What do I miss?

(3) How to rearrange the order of icons in the Launcher?

Double.J
January 15th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Hi there, think I'm only going to be able to help with Q1! (sorry I gave up editing unity's compiz settings - I kept breaking it!) run CCSM, then experimental>show devices>change to never.

Sorry I can't be more help - anything else I offered would just be google knowledge, and I'm reluctant to change anything I don't need to atm with unity - cowardice!

Hope it helps though!

Krytarik
January 15th, 2012, 03:20 AM
1) Already sufficiently answered.

2) It seems you are running the fallback Unity 2D session, not the regular Unity. Googling for the specs of your system, I learned that it sports an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card, which, I'm afraid, isn't sufficient for running the regular Unity, hardware-wise (in case anyone suggests that, the proprietary driver doesn't support it anymore).

There are numerous ways to check/see if Unity 2D or the regular Unity is running, the most obvious and clear is checking the running processes:

ps ax |grep unityIf a couple of processes with "unity-2d" in their names turn up, it's obviously Unity 2D.

3) Just drag & drop the respective launcher inside the Launcher to relocate it, you need to keep the mouse button pressed for 1 sec. before you can start dragging it. For more customization options of Unity 2D (!), please see this guide:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/10/customizing-unity-2d-ubuntu-natty.html

Regards.

chenxinghao
January 15th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Thank you both for the inputs.

On (1) I recall that the first and last time I used CCSM there was an "experimental" entry in the selection. Now I cannot find it any more. What is the pathway to find this "experimental" entry in CCSM?

On (2) Typed "ps ax | grep unity" in a Terminal window and a number of "unity-2d-...." entries. So the search to reduce the size of Launcher icons on my this installation hits the dead end. I will live with it.

On (3) Tried and successful!

Krytarik
January 15th, 2012, 06:03 AM
1) Oops, since you are running Unity 2D, not the regular Unity, you can't tweak that via CCSM either; forgot to get back to that question. :P For that, also refer to the guide I linked to.

Frogs Hair
January 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM
This option is also available for Unity 2D. http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/myunity-comprehensive-unity-tweak-for-ubuntu-11-04-and-11-10/

chenxinghao
January 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Back to (1): opened CCSM and found the "experimental" tab and selected "Never" for Device; reboot to Ubuntu and opened the "Home folder" and the two HD icons appear in the Launcher soon after - basically the same as before: no effects on the CCSM selection in terms of Launcher icon appearences.

It all seems that CCSM is useless on my Ubuntu 11.10 installation.

MG&TL
January 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Back to (1): opened CCSM and found the "experimental" tab and selected "Never" for Device; reboot to Ubuntu and opened the "Home folder" and the two HD icons appear in the Launcher soon after - basically the same as before: no effects on the CCSM selection in terms of Launcher icon appearences.

It's all in the name of the application. "Compiz". Unity 3d is based around compiz, unity 2d, I believe, is not. Therefore tweaking compiz settings will have no effect. :( Sorry.

Krytarik
January 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM

This ;-) :

1) Oops, since you are running Unity 2D, not the regular Unity, you can't tweak that via CCSM either; forgot to get back to that question. :P For that, also refer to the guide I linked to.