PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ugly toolbars in gnome-shell and Unity problems

e_torano
January 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I re-installed Ubuntu 11.10 last night from scratch (had originally done an upgrade from 10.10 - 11.04 - 11.10). Things were going well, then I decided to see if gnome-shell would now work (it wouldn't before). Alas, it did! However, there are a few tiny problems - such as the fact that toolbars on certain programs (nautilus being one) look ugly, like in the screenshot below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=210821&stc=1&d=1326539801

The other problem is that if I now try to go back to Unity, the sidebar doesn't load at all and the notification area isn't visible (I'll attach a screenshot of this issue in a second too).

Any ideas how to solve either of these problems anybody?

Hreinsi
January 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
If you are running 3D check if ubuntu unity pluggin is enabled in compiz settings manager

Hreinsi
January 14th, 2012, 02:33 PM
gnome-shell disables unity plugin so if you go back to unity you have to enable

e_torano
January 14th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ah right. And how would I fix the ugly toolbars issue?

Frogs Hair
January 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I have never had to re-enable the Unity plug-in when switching back and forth between Unity 3D and the Gnome Shell . I don't know what the problem is , but that is not normal behavior . Do not enable the Unity plug-in from the Gnome Shell .

What do you consider to be ugly , the application menu , the file path , or both ? The file path appears as it should and is a result of the theme in use .

e_torano
January 14th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I have never had to re-enable the Unity plug-in when switching back and forth between Unity 3D and the Gnome Shell . I don't know what the problem is , but that is not normal behavior . Do not enable the Unity plug-in from the Gnome Shell .

What do you consider to be ugly , the application menu , the file path , or both ? The file path appears as it should and is a result of the theme in use .

I'm meaning the application menu (File, Edit etc.)