PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] will this be enough ram to stream movies

s3v3nnds1nn
January 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
It is a Compaq Armada E500 pentium III coppermine with total 369 ram I would like to make it RAM 512. I had to install ubuntu 11 in order for the wireless USB I have to work properly. I reformatted the computer numerous times since it originally came with Windows NT and I could not even find a copy online to use the serial numbers. I would like to use it as a UPNP A/V streamer. I installed Enna to stream movies but since I used Ubuntu instead of the Lubuntu the video plays and the audio plays. But the audio is out of sync. So I bought more RAM for it. I tried to stream with wires and without wires the audio is still out of sync. I am not sure how to use VLC to stream. So did I make the right choice by buying more RAM? Or is there another type of UPNP media streamer I can use. I had the lap top for a while and I just got a WD TV Live and thought I could make that. Well I did sort of. So... Um.. long hours trying to fix it. It's fixed but the audio is messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Steve

P.s. I'm on my cell so if this is hard to read I am sorry.

s3v3nnds1nn
January 14th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Would Vuze work for what I described above?

kerry_s
January 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
have you tried ushare?

s3v3nnds1nn
January 15th, 2012, 03:14 AM
have you tried ushare?

No, I have not. I am kind of reborn to ubuntu again. I will look into it. If anyone else has any ideas let me know.

Thank you.

bluexrider
January 15th, 2012, 03:35 AM
low performance systems using little ram have noted improvements using zRAM.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/increased-performance-in-linux-with.html

This works for other systems as well. I installed a used 2Gb additional space for swap

s3v3nnds1nn
January 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM
low performance systems using little ram have noted improvements using zRAM.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/increased-performance-in-linux-with.html

This works for other systems as well. I installed a used 2Gb additional space for swap

I actually switched to a lighter version of ubuntu desktop. I forget which version it is. The video still lags behind the audio.

I thought that constant swapping can wear out the drive a lot quicker. Bcuz isn't swapping basically reading and writing?

So I will keep it the lite desktop. Delete some of the unneeded apps from starting. The RAM should be coming in the mail after MLK day.

Thank u for taking the time to inform me.

mastablasta
January 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
problem can be processor power and dated GPU or a GPU with poor linux driver support.

s3v3nnds1nn
January 18th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I updated the total RAM to 512. The computer is as I said before a Compaq Armada e500. I was looking online to maybe just update the processor. The model number is u98.004.c.00 the series is pp2060. 696 H.Z. not sure exactly what that means. Other then that I have nothing and I am completely lost on if I can even update my CPU.

I installed a different version xfce I believe. The videos stream wirelessly but if I scan the audio becomes out of sync. I am using Enna. Which works well with the RAM upgrade as well.

I really enjoy working on it just trying to get it to be the best it can be and if I can increase the CPU without overclocking I would be thrilled. Thank u in advance.

I would really like to maybe find the OS of the western digital streamer I have. Seems to be low resource and if works really well also.