PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dead Command Screen after Install Reboot on Acer Aspire One ZG5

noahark47
January 14th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I've been trying to switch to Ubuntu for some time on my little Acer Aspire One ZG5 netbook that chugged through the 7 Ultimate on the little guy and after unsuccessfully trying and trying to install 10.10 I went to 11.10 to install on it after reading that 11 worked better. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 and cleared out Windows 7 Ultimate because it ran so slow it was useless.

I installed Ubuntu 11.10 over 7 Ultimate via USB installation using Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.7.7 I was successful in installing it all the way and getting rid of Windows7-Ultimate altogether. I get to the restart screen and I do so. It asks for me to remove the media, close the tray, and press enter. I do so. It restarts and ends up on a command screen. This command screen ends up being dead. I've tried the usual commands I've read about, ctrl-alt-f1, tab, enter, but after 30 seconds all buttons make an error beep, except shift, ctrl, alt, (all and their combinations which do nothing) and ctrl+alt+delete, which reboots the computer and ends up on the same dead command screen. There is about 3 seconds after it reboots or starts up to go to setup, which has minimal things, set password and boot selection. There is only one hard drive on the little ZG5 so there is only one boot option once all media is removed.

I'm at a complete loss and cannot find any documentation on this issue. I haven't tried 11.04 LTS of 10.04 LTS. Maybe one of those will actually work?

Please help, I wiped my little netbook of Windows7-Ultimate in hopes of a light netbook that doesn't take 5 minutes to load firefox. I chose Ubuntu after reading and hearing many great things about Linux. I've tried effortlessly and have made minimal progress in the last 6 months to get Ubuntu on my little netbook. I told myself that if I can't get Ubuntu to install on my netbook I probably shouldn't be using it. But I got somewhere and I've reached a point not only of no return, but of no documentation on my issue.

Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank You.
Noah

noahark47
January 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM
help...?

darkod
January 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Boot again from the stick but instead of installing select the Try Ubuntu option (if it's there because the usb installer procedure might have changed the menu).

Tell us if it can boot in live mode successfully.

noahark47
January 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM
yes it runs off the usb and i can get to try ubuntu and it runs when i select to boot from the usb drive and in try ubuntu it still asks to install and when I go to install it again the install menu recgonizes that Ubuntu is already installed

darkod
January 15th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Try searching on google if there are any issues with ubuntu on this netbook model. Usually if live mode can run OK, then after the install it should run OK too.

Just for info, I am running ubuntu since version 9.10 on a Samsung NC10 netbook without any problems.

PS. You can try running the boot info script from the link in my signature. Post the content of the results file as explained in that link.

noahark47
January 25th, 2012, 05:12 PM
issue has been solved, after much frustration and docking my problem to mull it over for a few weeks I managed to get a clean install with 11.10 Thanks for the help though.

I have no idea what the problem was the first time when i installed it, but a few weeks later it worked perfectly.