PDA

View Full Version : wanted to make a bench mark help stuff thread.....

imachavel
January 14th, 2012, 12:44 AM
here is a bench mark for glxgears that I have while typing an email, gpu is radeon 4670, processor is intel pentium 4 clocked at 4.8 ghz. 3.5 gigs ram(yes I know 32 bit cpu and OS only addresses 3 gigs ram) Anyway I'm guessing my gpu has good vram but really slow processing bus. I can run cod4, and it practically drops fps to 10 fps XD

but it runs cod4 at very high pixelation, and very low, but at the same time has almost 0 fps. One thing I'd eventually like to learn is video format linux equivalent of open gl or direct x. Linux is great and I'm pm'ing a forum member privately who is teaching me values in python and modules. I'm learning slow, but one thing he taught me is that windows runs closed source binary, it's hard to reverse engineer drivers for winblows. one example is I can't get windows 7 to run cod1, but I could get it to run cod1 on windows xp. I don't want to reformat with windows xp, but notice windows xp runs the game because it has better support for open gl.

my windows 7 pc has a pentium 4 processor that runs at 2.4 ghz, now at the same time the gpu is an nvidia sparkle geforce 8400 gs that runs 256 mb ddr3. It's no big deal, but cod1 won't run no matter what compatibility mode I run cod1 in or how many times I update the driver. When I check the nvidia driver folder in the registry it's missing a sub folder for open gl. This is common with winblows. However, I have noticed that in linux a lot of things run but at the same time, you need .exe install files. Some things don't, linux doesn't like opening steam with wine although I've heard left 4 dead runs just fine. also some games have 2 disk installs, like cod1, meaning it requires that you take the files off the cd, then mark the install as executable in the properties. This is just great for a single disk but a second disk the first install disk can't find when it says 'place in second disk'

Anyway I'm still learning about scriping and .sh files etc., but just wanted to make a general discussion thread to bench mark gpu etc. explain pixelation etc. etc. and not feel like it's en emergency thread or anything. Just go ahead and speak about how you feel about linux gaming, gpu bench marks, windows drivers, etc. etc. Ok have fun

imachavel
January 14th, 2012, 01:07 AM
this is what a programming newb I am btw