PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make KDE look like Windows Vista in Ubuntu 11.10?

LinuxFan999
January 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yesterday, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 over a malfunctioning installation of Windows Vista on our computer. I am enjoying it it so far, but I have a question. How can I make KDE look like Windows? Someone else who uses this computer complained that "the screen looks different". He is not very computer literate, so I would not be able to easily teach him how to use Unity, so I decided that I would install KDE and modify it to look like Windows Vista, but I would like to learn how to do it first.

MG&TL
January 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM
it kinda already does...

But change the K-sign to the windows one, and you'll be all good. :)

I suggest just 'bookmarking' whatever he/she uses, and let them get on with it, they'll get used to it in time.

Basher101
January 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM
i do not think there is that much of a difference when you click to open a window and files on Kubuntu...you should only teach that person where the files are located that (s)he uses most frequently and follow MG&TL's advice

LinuxFan999
January 13th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I installed KDE, and tried to change the wallpaper (which is more difficult than it seems, especially when you are trying to apply a non-default wallpaper), and he still wants Windows and Internet Explorer. How could I change the KDE logo to the Windows logo and make Firefox look like Internet Explorer? If I am unable to do these, I will just bring my 4 year old gateway (running Windows 7) laptop to him. However, He still got on the computer, and is using it right now.

Basher101
January 13th, 2012, 11:57 PM
internet explorer is for windows only...is it even downloadable? if i think about it, IE would be the last thing i would ever google for. Can't you convince him to run Chrome/Mozilla/Opera? Otherwise try to get IE run in wine if that will help any..

MG&TL
January 13th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I'm not entirely sure where the logos are in the filesystem (I suspect under /usr/share/kde or something), but all you have to do is swap the logos but keep the same filename.

As for i.e, get an icon off the web, then change the icons in /usr/share/icons to the IE ones, rather than konqueror.

LinuxFan999
January 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM
internet explorer is for windows only...is it even downloadable? if i think about it, IE would be the last thing i would ever google for. Can't you convince him to run Chrome/Mozilla/Opera? Otherwise try to get IE run in wine if that will help any..
I have tried convincing him to not use IE in the past, but he kept saying no. Running IE in WINE could work, but I am not sure how well it would work. Another Idea I thought of is to run Windows 7 in Virtualbox and make it fullscreen. This would give the added bonus of the ability to run aditional Windows software that would not run well in WINE.

MG&TL
January 14th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I have tried convincing him to not use IE in the past, but he kept saying no. Running IE in WINE could work, but I am not sure how well it would work. Another Idea I thought of is to run Windows 7 in Virtualbox and make it fullscreen. This would give the added bonus of the ability to run aditional Windows software that would not run well in WINE.

Is this not a bit of a unwinnable case?

I think in fairness, you might be better off with the VBox option. Some people can be very stubborn.

Basher101
January 14th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Is this not a bit of a unwinnable case?

I think in fairness, you might be better off with the VBox option. Some people can be very stubborn.

if it is just browsing and programs that do not need heavy graphics, a VB setup would be the best to solve this..(considering your hardware can handle it)

LinuxFan999
January 14th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Here are the specifications of our computer:
Gateway LX 6810-01
Intel Core 2 quad @2.33GHZ
8GB DDR2 sdram
Nvidia Geforace Gt120
640GB Hard Drive

This computer has enough power to run a Windows 7 VM.

Basher101
January 14th, 2012, 12:33 AM
well then the VB setup should be enough to cover the issue :popcorn:

inobe
January 14th, 2012, 04:58 AM
a side note: kde looked like windows before current windows, but any way.............. everyone likes to look like everyone.

you can get the whole deal browsing themes in system settings> workspace appearance> desktop theme> get new themes.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2979/seveno.jpg

LinuxFan999
January 16th, 2012, 04:38 AM
I was going to get my spare copy of Windows 7 to install in Virtualbox earlier today, but I forgot.
He seems to be tolerating KDE for now, but I will install Windows 7 in Virtualbox if the need ever arises.

wildmanne39
January 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hi, virtualbox is the way to go if it comes down to it, with your system you would not have any problems.

bluexrider
January 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I tried this distro and was impressed as to how close it was to XP.

http://www.oslike.se/xp-like/8-linux-xp-like-1104

Its remastered Ubuntu 11.04

Not bad if you want to look like Windows.