PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] please help

chrismccall79
January 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
hello people,

last week I updated my li2727 laptop to the new release, all looked good & well switched off for the night, switched on next morning.

DEAD DEAD DEAD

I tried to install the previous release, Failed!! got various errors.

I then tried a few ways of installing the previous release & nothing.

next option roll back to release before that & nothing (g parted wouldn't load so that too was yes DEAD!!)

I have managed to install 9.04 (using right now). installed using a USB stick CDs will not work. dont know why.

Problem now is I can't get updates for it & now I can't get back up to Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (Lucid Lynx) (http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/)

someone help me there seems to be an issue with CD iso files even though they are all checked & correct. so ISO files aint an option.

many thanks in advance.

desktorp
January 13th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Are you doing upgrades or fresh installs?

It may also help to know what sort of errors you received.

Rubi1200
January 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM
You cannot upgrade directly to 10.04 from 9.04.

As asked, what kinds of error messages were you getting. This may help us narrow down the problem.

If possible, post the results of the boot info script.

There is a link at the bottom of my post with instructions.

chrismccall79
January 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM
sorry I cant remember the problems I had exactly.

Off top of my head, issues started with the new side launcher working as needed, switched it off, next day nowt, looked like hard drive was broken.

done mem test got reply back saying hard drive fine.

downloaded ubuntu burnt ISO disk using ios burner & iso recorder.

tried to install, kept getting message about the install failed due to (cant remember)

then rolled back a few releases, got issue with gpart not loading so stopped install.

after that got 9.04 nstalled

sorry for being so unclear

chrismccall79
January 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
so do i assume that no one knows how i update my system,

after looking around here it looks like ubuntu have made a big mistake on the latest release,everyone is having issues

darkod
January 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Not everyone is having issues. Don't forget that the forums are usually for your problems, so it might look like it when reading here.

And the other poster didn't say you can not upgrade, he said you can not 9.04 to 10.04. A non-LTS release can only upgrade to the next release, if I'm not mistaken. With LTS releases you have the option to jump directly to the next LTS.

You could upgrade 9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04. Although personally I am doing clean installs and not upgrades.

The issues you mentioned above seem like hardware issues. You should always be able to boot from bootable CD for example, no matter which OS is installed on the HDD. In fact, you should be able to boot a CD even without a HDD in the machine.