PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How does Unity decide in which monitor to open a window?

rmccarri
January 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
This is a bizarre question, but I was wondering if anyone knows how the Unity desktop interface decides in which monitor to open a program from the launcher. I have a dual monitor setup at work and arrange things like my email and browser specifically in particular workspaces and on a particular monitor. For instance, I always keep Evolution in the left monitor on the upper left workspace and Google Chrome in the right monitor in the bottom right workspace. Interestingly, whenever I launch Evolution from the launcher, it always opens to the right monitor and I have to move it over (which is a little bit of a hassle since it behaves pretty buggy and always pops back to the right monitor a few times before it will stick in the left when I drag the menubar over) and Google Chrome always opens in the left side and I have to move it to the right. It really isn't a big deal, but I was just curious how it works. It's pretty amusing that all of the programs always open to the same monitor, but probably 80% of the time, it's the monitor that I don't want it to open to.