PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu never sees my HD during install

vt.dave
January 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

For reference this is on a Shuttle SX58H7 PRO.

I can boot off of the CD or a USB stick (only with acpi=off) and when it comes to the system check screen it never says I have 4GB Free.

I have tried 2 separate HD's, a 240 gig SSD and a 1TB regular HD, but neither are ever recognized.

I have tried IDE, AHCI and RAID in my BIOS for IDE settings and have the drives plugged into a 6 Gb/s sata port on my Mobo.

Does Ubuntu look for a specific SATA controller during intall? Why can't I get Ubuntu to see my HD?

Any help is appreciated!
-Dave

Mark Phelps
January 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Most likely, it is the 6Gb/s SATA port. I've seen lots of threads from folks with similar problems.

Try connecting the drives to an older 3Gb/s port instead.

varunendra
January 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Most likely, it is the 6Gb/s SATA port. I've seen lots of threads from folks with similar problems.

So does it mean Ubuntu is unable to use a 6gb/s SATA port? That would be a letdown and a surprise to me (not that I've ever used a 6gb/s port before ;))!

As a side note, I've recently experienced that although Ubuntu Live can see and use a drive on a RAID card, it does not list it when we proceed to the installation step (it was a single-drive strip/RAID-0 setup). So I think it's worth making sure that the port is not configured for a RAID array.

vt.dave
January 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM

You were 100% correct. Ubuntu installed on my HD no problem after that. Now I'm going to try the SSD instead of the baracuda. Hopefully that works as well.