PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Ubuntu Software Center

rapcitynetwork
January 13th, 2012, 12:50 AM
hi, i need help on reinstalling the ubuntu software center, i was unistalling the key ring acsess because i hated the password authentication and the ubuntu software center got uninstalled with me even selecting to uninstall ubuntu software center, can anyone help me reinstall it, i tried going to the dash home and selecting the software center app but nothing shows up is their a salution in fixing the problem, if yes can you tell me how?

saneearth
January 13th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Open the terminal and type sudo apt-get install synaptic. After synaptic is install search for the ubuntu software center and install it with synaptic. I actually just started with synaptic, because I am unsure what the software center is actually called. You could try apt-get ubuntusoftwarecenter, but likely will not get anything. Synaptic in my humble opinion is much quicker, especially for installing multiple packages.

rapcitynetwork
January 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Open the terminal and type sudo apt-get install synaptic. After synaptic is install search for the ubuntu software center and install it with synaptic. I actually just started with synaptic, because I am unsure what the software center is actually called. You could try apt-get ubuntu software center, but likely will not get anything. Synaptic in my humble opinion is much quicker, especially for installing multiple packages. thanks but is it just safer to uninstall ubuntu and reinstall it faster then using the synaptic? or no?

bluexrider
January 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
In terminal:

sudo apt-get purge software-center
then

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get install software-center
DONE

MG&TL
January 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
thanks but is it just safer to uninstall ubuntu and reinstall it faster then using the synaptic? or no?

No. definitely faster to just reinstall the software centre.

Correcting saneearth, (no disrespect, your answer was great):

sudo apt-get install software-center

will bring back your software centre. You do not need to install synaptic.

Incidentally, saneearth:

apt-cache search <search term>

does the business quite nicely. :)