PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can not resize window and other issues

jpaulb
January 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
After my old box I built in 2004 died, I bought my first brands name, Dell XPS 8300 with ******* 7 installed. I decide to down load Wubi and try out the different flavors of Ubuntu, as I am not overlycjoyed with the new Ubuntu desktop.

I installed Kbuntu for a try and then Xububtu. after a couple of days Xubuntu started to act up. I lost the ability to resize windows, switch desktops, move windows. The only way to close a window is to goto file and click on quit.

I installed Xubuntu permanently a couple of days ago and today the same issues occurred.

Is there a fix for this short of reinstalling?:confused:

LewisTM
January 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I think the solution is in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811712).

Also you should delete the hidden ~/.cache/session file which might be contaminated by faulty session settings.

It is a sporadic bug of the XFCE Window Manager, xfwm4. If you get it repeatedly you might want to try another Window Manager. You machine should handle Compiz fine and it provides nice 3D effects. Install fusion-icon to get a permanent panel icon through which you can restart or switch your window manager on demand, handy when your display is giving you trouble.

Cheers!

jpaulb
January 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks
removing ~/.cache/session solved it.