PDA

View Full Version : Trying to edit song for ringtone, how?

goofey24
January 12th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Using music on my phone for ringtones, but I would like to cut out the intro as it's boring. Would also like to increase volume of said song for ringtone.
Is any of this possible, legal?
Thanks for any help/input.
Dawn :)

satanselbow
January 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Using music on my phone for ringtones, but I would like to cut out the intro as it's boring. Would also like to increase volume of said song for ringtone.
Is any of this possible, legal?
Thanks for any help/input.
Dawn :)

Quite possible in an audio editor such audacity.

Legal? Only if your phone does not go off in a public place... although you would have a claim for leniency from the usual death sentence under "fair use" ;)

drmrgd
January 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I use Audacity all of the time to do this very thing. Works like a charm!

I'm guessing for personal use, no one's going to bug you. If you decide to distribute and sell the ringtone you made, though, then you'll probably start having some legal problems.

goofey24
January 12th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Quite possible in an audio editor such audacity.

Legal? Only if your phone does not go off in a public place... although you would have a claim for leniency from the usual death sentence under "fair use" ;)

Yeah, I use Audacity all of the time to do this very thing. Works like a charm!

I'm guessing for personal use, no one's going to bug you. If you decide to distribute and sell the ringtone you made, though, then you'll probably start having some legal problems.
Thanks.:)
Just personal use.
Now to try and figure this out, guess some reading is in order for the day :(

blueturtl
January 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
At least here in Finland 30sec of any song is allowed and is considered fair use.

In Audacity, use high pass filter to cut all the low frequencies off the song you want (the cellphone will be unable to play those anyway). This allows you to amplify the sound more without distorting your phone.

Finally, you may wish to combine the channels to make the sound mono (to cut size, your phone doesn't really have a stereo sound stage anyway) and export as a 64 kbit cbr mp3.

That should get you started.

pixiq
February 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Yes, Audacity is good for that, and you can use it to filter noise and many other things.

Let us know how you succeed, and when you are satisfied, please click Thread tools at the top of the page and select 'Mark this thread as SOLVED'

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Audacity rocks! Pro-level open-source audio app. Sonic Swiss army knife! ;)