PDA

View Full Version : seems that linux will have (finally) a decent photo-editor

szymon_g
January 12th, 2012, 12:21 AM
http://apps.corel.com/lp/aftershot/download/index.html

that's nice- at least version for linux.
I wonder how many people will pay for it.
and how many will complaining that's not free software :)

Basher101
January 12th, 2012, 12:25 AM
is this any good compared to photoshop? i have no use for photo editing software but know a bunch of people that do..

szymon_g
January 12th, 2012, 12:29 AM
to be honest- i'm waiting till more advanced users will share their experience :)

Basher101
January 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM
i shall join you then..

amauk
January 12th, 2012, 12:33 AM
This is just a re-branding of a long-running software project called Bibble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibble_%28software%29

Corel just bought the company (like, last week), and have changed the name

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/corel-buys-bible

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2012, 04:05 AM
This is a photo management app, not a real photo editor. The only editing to it consists of simple photo enhancements.

BBQdave
January 12th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Hmmm... lets see... oh I know...

GIMP! :D

inobe
January 12th, 2012, 04:53 AM
if it's not worth discussing, and it's nothing new, it's obviously some unwanted spam.

folks will never realize, games make money, they sell..

edit: if you want to make real money, make really good games and stop playing immoral games with folks 2 steps ahead of you!

PhilGil
January 12th, 2012, 05:16 AM
It is not primarily a photo editor or manager. It's a RAW file "developer", similar to Adobe Lightroom (or Darktable).

As a previous poster mentioned, it is (at this point) a minor update of the established and well-regarded Bibble Pro, which was recently purchased by Corel.

Per the DPReview story, Corel has committed to continuing development of the Linux version. This is a good thing.

Is it really better than the available free alternatives, such as Darktable, RawTherapee, Photivo, etc? That's a personal choice, but at $100 I'll probably keep using RawTherapee instead.

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM
It is not primarily a photo editor or manager. It's a RAW file "developer", similar to Adobe Lightroom (or Darktable).True, but the point was that people will read the title and think there is a new Photoshop-like thing for Linux. That's kind of misleading.

Per the DPReview story, Corel has committed to continuing development of the Linux version. This is a good thing.
Corel has a good history of supporting Linux. Back in the day, they used to offer the Linux version of Wordperfect free of charge. Even after they dropped that, they still developed native Linux versions. Corel even had its own distro for a while. It's good to see they're still interested in supporting Linux.

mips
January 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Also have a look at LightZone, used to be free before but not so sure right now.

del_diablo
January 12th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Can I get full 16-bit color support? Or 32-bit color depht?
And the answer was.... no. So GIMP was disqualified before the starting line.

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Can I get full 16-bit color support? Or 32-bit color depht?
And the answer was.... no. So GIMP was disqualified before the starting line.

True, but work has already begun on it, and Gimp will have that support in v3.0, whenever that will be.

KiwiNZ
January 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
if it's not worth discussing, and it's nothing new, it's obviously some unwanted spam.

folks will never realize, games make money, they sell..

edit: if you want to make real money, make really good games and stop playing immoral games with folks 2 steps ahead of you!

Some people use computers for real activity:rolleyes:

neu5eeCh
January 12th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I've never been all that impressed with Corel. They tend to buy projects and then just pump out version update after version update- more like revenue-stream updates. I was a long time user of WordPerfect, and still would be, but their ownership of the software was little different than Oracle's ownership Open Office (in the sense of development). They released version after version but all the same bugs and limitations carried over from one version to the next - new glossy packaging and CD, but all the same glitches. I also use Paint Shop Pro - which is a good alternative to Adobe.

Seems to me, if they really wanted to make a splash, they would port PSP to Linux. I wonder if they're feeling out the market with AfterShot?

DangerOnTheRanger
January 12th, 2012, 11:53 PM
F-Spot + GIMP already does everything I need (not to mention both are FOSS), so I can't see myself buying this new application.

inobe
January 13th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Some people use computers for real activity:rolleyes:

agreed, i was merely suggesting a more profitable market.

there are better free online photo editors, i think.

abrianb
January 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Also have a look at LightZone, used to be free before but not so sure right now.

Unfortunately the Lightzone project and its parent company Light Crafts failed financially. Light Crafts shutdown its site. I'd like to love Darktable but it seems to be a resource hog and doing simple things like exporting are difficult. Not an intuitive process at all.

Linuxratty
January 15th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Yuppers..I've used the Gimp for this for quite some time..For other stuff too.
I like it.

inobe
January 15th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'd like to love Darktable but it seems to be a resource hog and doing simple things like exporting are difficult. Not an intuitive process at all.

to think someone would edit stuff on a resource "limited' system..

Lucradia
January 15th, 2012, 06:11 AM
This is a photo management app, not a real photo editor. The only editing to it consists of simple photo enhancements.

This. People aren't giving GIMP the credit it deserves, and that makes sad-cat, sad.

However, many people dislike gimp because of the lack of adjustment layers, and easy-to-use ones at that, like Photoshop. Not that any of the free alternatives have adjustment layers. (Paint.NET doesn't either.) Just like how none of the Flash editor alternatives use the same line bending methods as the real thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXfWuVZXR-A

it's like there's a stigma for easy-to-use and very useful features...

abrianb
January 15th, 2012, 03:33 PM
to think someone would edit stuff on a resource "limited' system..

Are you attempting to troll on this thread?

WasMeHere
January 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
This. People aren't giving GIMP the credit it deserves, and that makes sad-cat, sad.
I like the GIMP :KS

I can do what I want to do with pictures using it, and I like using it. Like most other people, I am not a professional photographer, and I need not use professional tools.

I can understand that there are people who want and need pro tools, and I do not expect that such tools should be free.

DeadSuperHero
January 16th, 2012, 10:30 PM

Seconded. I can't wait for the single-window-mode version to officially hit stable.

inobe
January 17th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Are you attempting to troll on this thread?

not at all, and not trying to be offensive in any way, simply put, you won't save resources, the idea is to utilize them, even if it requires a hardware upgrade.

plain and simple: don't state something being slow when it's your system that is slow:p

Primefalcon
January 17th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Why is this any better than GIMP?

abrianb
January 17th, 2012, 04:11 AM
not at all, and not trying to be offensive in any way, simply put, you won't save resources, the idea is to utilize them, even if it requires a hardware upgrade.

plain and simple: don't state something being slow when it's your system that is slow:p

I built my system just for image editing, it blazes with other programs. LightZone never slows it down. Gimp never slows it down no matter how many layers or what operation is applied. Yet it sometimes takes 30 seconds to go from darkroom to light table. The screen goes gray and the program crawls. That is not conducive to good work flow.

Raval
January 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
This is just a re-branding of a long-running software project called Bibble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibble_%28software%29

Corel just bought the company (like, last week), and have changed the name

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/corel-buys-bible

Oh God no! I use Bibble 5 and its a great RAW editor.

punong_bisyonaryo
January 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
I do photography in a semi-professional/serious amateur capacity. Just to clarify things about Bibble and GIMP, GIMP is invaluable in my toolbox, but Bibble is the mainstay for any serious work. The only time I open up GIMP is for specialized graphics and editing work. Spot correction, dodging, burning, teeth whitening, noise reduction. Most of the time my workflow doesn't reach GIMP at all (except for watermarking, I have a batch watermark plugin for GIMP).

Now, my question to you guys. I used Bibble since Bibble 4. And I'm unsure about this development. The only reason I can think of for "upgrading" to Aftershot ($20) is to have access to future upgrades. But I don't know, because 1. Is Aftershot better or as good as Bibble? 2. Will there be upgrades at all in the future? 3. Will the upgrades be affordable?

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
I do photography in a semi-professional/serious amateur capacity. Just to clarify things about Bibble and GIMP, GIMP is invaluable in my toolbox, but Bibble is the mainstay for any serious work. The only time I open up GIMP is for specialized graphics and editing work. Spot correction, dodging, burning, teeth whitening, noise reduction. Most of the time my workflow doesn't reach GIMP at all (except for watermarking, I have a batch watermark plugin for GIMP).Can you explain how you use Bibble?

Now, my question to you guys. I used Bibble since Bibble 4. And I'm unsure about this development. The only reason I can think of for "upgrading" to Aftershot ($20) is to have access to future upgrades. But I don't know, because 1. Is Aftershot better or as good as Bibble? 2. Will there be upgrades at all in the future? 3. Will the upgrades be affordable?If you have professional interests, $20 doesn't seem like that huge of an investment. It might be worth the $20 just to find out first hand. Unless you don't foresee ever needing more than what you already have.

amauk
January 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
1. Is Aftershot better or as good as Bibble?At this stage (mear weeks after the purchase), Aftershot is going to be exactly the same as Bibble 5
Corel will not have had the time to do anything apart from a visual re-brand

2. Will there be upgrades at all in the future?
3. Will the upgrades be affordable?This is entirely up to Corel...
The disadvantage of proprietary software, I'm afraid
Not a lot you can do apart from hope they don't screw you over

Raval
January 23rd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I do photography in a semi-professional/serious amateur capacity. Just to clarify things about Bibble and GIMP, GIMP is invaluable in my toolbox, but Bibble is the mainstay for any serious work. The only time I open up GIMP is for specialized graphics and editing work. Spot correction, dodging, burning, teeth whitening, noise reduction. Most of the time my workflow doesn't reach GIMP at all (except for watermarking, I have a batch watermark plugin for GIMP).

Now, my question to you guys. I used Bibble since Bibble 4. And I'm unsure about this development. The only reason I can think of for "upgrading" to Aftershot ($20) is to have access to future upgrades. But I don't know, because 1. Is Aftershot better or as good as Bibble? 2. Will there be upgrades at all in the future? 3. Will the upgrades be affordable?

they have a 30 trial of the full version and it they have polished the GUI

cprofitt
January 23rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
I used Corel Draw Suite from version 3 until I started using Linux full time. Corel was always very fairly priced and I like PhotoPaint and Draw over the Adobe products.

forrestcupp
January 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
I used Corel Draw Suite from version 3 until I started using Linux full time. Corel was always very fairly priced and I like PhotoPaint and Draw over the Adobe products.

My wife is a huge PhotoPaint fan. I haven't tried it out since version 8, though.

oldsoundguy
January 23rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
IMO .. Correl Paint Shop Pro is their answer to Photo Shop .. and it seems that the After Shot is their answer to Adobe Essentials. Really depends on how deep you want to get into after shot processing, but I have Photo Shop AND Essentials .. find that for most of the work I do, Essentials works just fine. SO, maybe After Shot might be worth investigating (Gimp is really a boatload of learning to use .. the availability of quality on line help not withstanding.)(and in this town, Gimp classes at the Senior Center!)

(We are fortunate ... the local Senior Center has classes of all kinds on computers .. they are using XP Pro dual booted with Mint and they have Apple computers available .. LOTS of classes and labs .. all for pennies per day!)(but you have to be 50 years old to sign up and take a class.)(16 seats per class!)

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 12:42 PM
(We are fortunate ... the local Senior Center has classes of all kinds on computers .. they are using XP Pro dual booted with Mint and they have Apple computers available .. LOTS of classes and labs .. all for pennies per day!)(but you have to be 50 years old to sign up and take a class.)(16 seats per class!)

That's awesome.

punong_bisyonaryo
January 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Can you explain how you use Bibble?

If you have professional interests, $20 doesn't seem like that huge of an investment. It might be worth the $20 just to find out first hand. Unless you don't foresee ever needing more than what you already have.

I shoot in RAW. I've tried the GIMP plugin and other free (libre) Linux RAW conversion programs and found none that is as fast esp. when it comes to batch conversion/editing. My workflow is somewhat like the following:

After copying the images to the computer, I do a primary "edit" (selecting which photos are good) on the fly inside Bibble as I go through the sequence of photos I took. Selecting the first good photo:
1. I mark it with the "check" button so I can easily filter my edit next time.
2. I check the white balance and click-white as needed
3. Apply Noise Ninja and RAW Noise as needed to remove noise.
4. Tweak exposure and/or add Fill
5. Tweak curves to adjust contrast and levels to taste.
6. Copy the settings.
7. Skim through the rest of the batch and paste settings. This is especially valuable if for example you're taking lots of shots of a model under same flash power settings, aperture, etc. where the lighting and environment doesn't change and you're just changing how the model poses.
8. Make adjustments if the pasted settings don't match your intended output.
9. Filter for photos marked with a check
10. Whiten teeth if necessary (new layer, select teeth, use curves to whiten)
11. Select all and send to an output batch (ex. JPG)
12. Grab some coffee while the pictures "develop"

If further editing is needed e.g. cloning in/out, skin smoothening, blemishes, etc. only then do I load it in GIMP.

Thanks for the tip about the 30-day trial. Just downloaded it.:)

forrestcupp
January 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I shoot in RAW. I've tried the GIMP plugin and other free (libre) Linux RAW conversion programs and found none that is as fast esp. when it comes to batch conversion/editing. My workflow is somewhat like the following:

That's pretty interesting. Do you know of any web sites that have examples of a photo at each step so I could see the differences each thing makes? Does it only work with RAW, or can it do other formats, like JPG? If you weren't using RAW, could you just do all of that in GIMP?

ElSlunko
January 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
The export to external editor also makes an elegant way to further work on a RAW file (of course after it's converted) in GIMP, PS, etc.

Corel's ASP is very similar to B5, but the color management engine has been changed.

Also you can do some pretty nifty local adjustments with layers in ASP. I rarely have to export to GIMP till the point of heavy retouching.