PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Tech Creeper?

tekkidd
January 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to know how many people share my passion for creeping on people's tech. Whenever I see anyone with a smartphone I want to know what phone it is. Whenever I see someone on their laptop I want to see what there desktop looks like. Whenever I see a someones web browser open I want to see what they have bookmarked. What about you?

Linuxratty
January 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Not phones,don't care about them..But in the library,I do check to see if strangers lappys are running Linux..So far,all I've seen is Windows.

juancarlospaco
January 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
voyeur geeks :P

shizz
January 11th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Haha yes all the time. I can't help it. I think it weirds people out a bit though too... dunno why :)

leviathan8
January 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I personally like changing settings on mobile devices to be more battery efficient and msconfig into some Windows machines to disable useless services and startup bloatware.

lisati
January 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Wondering about the particular smartphone someone uses and how they use it has little appeal for me: they are just expensive toys tools.

Stovey
January 11th, 2012, 11:26 PM
lol. So you sneak around peering over people's shoulders? :)

IWantFroyo
January 12th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Half the time I don't even have to peek. With phones, I personally don't care about Android anymore (there are just so many of them), and iPhones are insanely easy to recognise. However, I'm intrigued when I see a Blackberry, and I walk up to someone as a fellow webOS user if I see them sporting a Palm/HP device.
As for computers, Linux is rare to come across. I sometimes do a quick glance across the bottom of people's computer screens to check for a Windows 7 launcher or OS X dock.

It's very rare for me to see anyone but the stereotypical iPhone/Android & Windows laptop carrier, though.

Basher101
January 12th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Half the time I don't even have to peek. With phones, I personally don't care about Android anymore (there are just so many of them), and iPhones are insanely easy to recognise. However, I'm intrigued when I see a Blackberry, and I walk up to someone as a fellow webOS user if I see them sporting a Palm/HP device.
As for computers, Linux is rare to come across. I sometimes do a quick glance across the bottom of people's computer screens to check for a Windows 7 launcher or OS X dock.

It's very rare for me to see anyone but the stereotypical iPhone/Android & Windows laptop carrier, though.

pretty much the same here...my friend asked me to reinstall his windows 7 as it borke down and i will also install ubuntu for a dualboot ;) *evil laugh* soon...the whole class..then the whole school..soon...^^

IWantFroyo
January 12th, 2012, 01:13 AM
pretty much the same here...my friend asked me to reinstall his windows 7 as it borke down and i will also install ubuntu for a dualboot ;) *evil laugh* soon...the whole class..then the whole school..soon...^^

We will get our revenge on them all one day... All of them...

My dad's netbook went bonkers about a week ago. He's stoically still using it, but I assume he'll ask me to install Linux on it soon enough.

Basher101
January 12th, 2012, 01:21 AM
We will get our revenge on them all one day... All of them...

My dad's netbook went bonkers about a week ago. He's stoically still using it, but I assume he'll ask me to install Linux on it soon enough.

And you are just waiting in your layers for that moment :popcorn:

IWantFroyo
January 12th, 2012, 01:37 AM
And you are just waiting in your layers for that moment :popcorn:

I'm already burning the CD. :twisted:

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2012, 03:53 AM
lol. So you sneak around peering over people's shoulders? :)

Ha, ha. That's exactly what I was thinking. Do you also look over people's shoulders when they are entering their ATM PIN?

Erik1984
January 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Ha, ha. That's exactly what I was thinking. Do you also look over people's shoulders when they are entering their ATM PIN?

To see if the ATM is running Linux :)

satanselbow
January 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm not that fussed about other peoples tech really - especially when it comes with the phrase "I found this really funny vid on youtube" ... CD collections are another thing entirely ;)

CoffeeRain
January 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
At the local coffee shop, most of the people have Macs. (It's next to a college) I look at the network to see which computers have sharing on just to see how many Macs, and most of them do. :)

Frogs Hair
January 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I sometimes look for non windows operating systems in the cafe at school . I don't pay attention to phones in general and really don't care for listening to peoples conversations in public . When I see people with phones I usually move away .

techvish81
January 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM
i too like to peep at others computers. only to know the OS running. once i installed ubuntu as dualboot on a friends notebook, but he was not "open enough " to embrace open source with love!! hahaha....

wolfen69
January 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
If I happened to see someone running linux on their laptop, I might strike up a conversation, but I don't go out of my way to see what they're running. Don't really care too much about what cell phone they're using.

ubiquitin.jf
January 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I judge people I see on the train with icons and clutter on their desktops much the same way as I'd judge someone strangling a kitten in public.

stalkingwolf
January 12th, 2012, 05:23 PM
recently I sold a laptop. I had Super os on it. Everyone that called wanted windows , said they wanted it but never showed up. On Christmas day i installed winxpsp3. Got a call a few days later. Feller wanted to trade for a desk top. first thing he said was it has linux on it. kewl. we traded and first thing he wiped it and put ubuntu on it.

Is that a social statement? linux users are reliable, windows users arent?

tekkidd
January 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM

A friend of mine likes to scope out which OS's ATM's run. Most of them XP. Some run OS/4

BrokenKingpin
January 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
No, I really don't have much interest in what hardware or software people are using... as long as they are not using Apple **** :P

Copper Bezel
January 13th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I ran into someone at my coffee shop running Fedora 15 just after I upgraded to 11.10. I had to strike up a conversation (and introduced him to Gnome Tweak Tool, incidentally.) In general, yeah, I peek, just on the chance of running into another Linux nerd. (It's definitely creepy.)

szymon_g
January 13th, 2012, 01:37 AM
once my girlfriend stopped me from stopping guy on the street and asking him what particular model his dell was /i bet it was e6400/... does it count?

and once i've found guy in library with laptop (convertable do tablet) using ubuntu 10.04 /afaik/...

Linuxratty
January 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Wondering about the particular smartphone someone uses and how they use it has little appeal for me: they are just expensive toys tools.

=D>:biggrin: I feel the same way and I thought I was the only one!

desktorp
January 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah totally. I have a habit of climbing trees at night, without any pants and peering in to people's windows.. uhhhh to see if they use Linux.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9051/rondoe.jpg

Basher101
January 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
=D>:biggrin: I feel the same way and I thought I was the only one!

you are not alone bro...you are not alone.

Simian Man
January 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I do check to see if strangers lappys are running Linux..So far,all I've seen is Windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RexQLrcqwc