PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] An unhandlable error occured

Tyler09
January 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I was attempting to install openoffice on my Ubuntu 11.10 OS and i followed the process on this site:
http://www.fossapps.com/2011/06/26/how-to-install-open-office-for-ubuntu-11-04/
And afterwards things became a mess, now when i try to install other upgrades or other programs i get errors. A specific error from trying to install python is:
An unhandlable error occured
There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks.
Details:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 968, in simulate
trans.unauthenticated = self._simulate_helper(trans)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 1092, in _simulate_helper
return depends, self._cache.required_download, \
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 235, in required_download
pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)
SystemError: E:I wasn't able to locate a file for the libreoffice-common package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

Not sure what to do thanks for your help.

Buntumatic
January 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I do not agree with reasoning Libreoffice being inferior. In actuality, Libreoffice is being developed actively and last time I checked Openoffice development was stalled.
As of today, Jan 2012 I'd recommend using Libreoffice.

arubislander
January 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
+1

If you are at all able to uninstall OpenOffice I would try to do so. As you've seen, installing it is not worth the hassle, and I would stick to LibreOffice unless you are looking for specific functionality that is only available in OpenOffice (I wouldn't know what that would be, but I guess it is possible that such exists)

Buntumatic
January 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I stand yo be corrected, but didn't LibreOffice fork when OpenOffice stalled and since then LibreOffice has been moving forward. Latest OpenOffice seems still be 3.3.0, while LibreOffice is at 3.5 and live. Considering this it's unlikely OpenOffice has a feature LibreOffice has not.

Tyler09
January 12th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Ok well i cant uninstall or install anything because i get that same error.

Tyler09
January 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Soo does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hagar Delest
January 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM
You can try to install Synaptic and use it to remove the packages. But if nothing works anymore, you should check the apt-get help to fix such situation.

Buntumatic
January 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM
When you tried to install OpenOffice, did it pull in something with it?
Right now it looks like your Python install may be borked.
What is the current active version of python in your system?

Tyler09
January 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I just followed the steps on that site, and i guess i'm not sure where to go to look up what version of python.

Tyler09
January 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I typed in sudo apt-get -f install, and it works now with libreoffice removed and open office seems to work fine