afterwards go here http://duolingo.com/

Genius!

Thanks.

sffvba[e0rt
January 11th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Brilliant.

V for Vincent
January 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
That is totally, totally awesome! Signed up!

forrestcupp
January 11th, 2012, 01:39 PM
That's pretty amazing. I wish they were farther along. I know someone who is learning French, and they don't have French available yet.

The Recaptcha thing is pretty cool, too. I've seen the ones with two words, but I had no idea it is digitizing books. The thought I had was if the computer really doesn't know what the scanned word is, that could be dangerous. There are a lot of books out there with offensive obscenities. I doubt if web sites want stuff like that in their Captchas.

Drenriza
January 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
The thought I had was if the computer really doesn't know what the scanned word is, that could be dangerous. There are a lot of books out there with offensive obscenities. I doubt if web sites want stuff like that in their Captchas.

Maybe you can choose genre :p no idea just an thought :)

*^kyfds(
January 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM
i think there might be huge problems if they use *ehem* adult books \\:D/

forrestcupp
January 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM
i think there might be huge problems if they use *ehem* adult books \\:D/

It doesn't even have to be adult books. I read a certain suspense, drama type book for a book report in high school once. It had an entire paragraph that was nothing but the main character cussing because he was mad. It didn't really bother me, but I doubt if businesses want stuff like that accidentally showing up in their Captchas. ;)

Linuxratty
January 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM
That is totally, totally awesome! Signed up!

Passed it on and will sign up!

CharlesA
January 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
That is pretty awesome.

IWantFroyo
January 12th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Genius. Pure genius.

I'm bookmarking for the day Japanese is added. :popcorn:

pr3zident
January 12th, 2012, 01:39 AM
This is great !

forrestcupp
January 12th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I just wish they had more languages. I guess this whole thread is kind of premature, though.

Drenriza
January 13th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I just wish they had more languages. I guess this whole thread is kind of premature, though.

If a thread is premature because it posts something thats in a beta format. What are websites that post rumors about might or might not upcoming products.

And different threads on the Ubuntu forum about different versions of the distro when it is in it's alfa state.

Just asking :p

sffvba[e0rt
January 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Anybody else sign up to this yet... I popped in my e-mail address for an invite and I haven't even received a confirmation e-mail or anything (it has been 3 days now)?!

forrestcupp
January 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
If a thread is premature because it posts something thats in a beta format. What are websites that post rumors about might or might not upcoming products.

And different threads on the Ubuntu forum about different versions of the distro when it is in it's alfa state.

Just asking :p

Well, that's not really what I meant. I guess I should have said that it's premature to talk about it being widely useful yet. It's an awesome concept that will be pretty amazing in time, though.

Nytram
January 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Same here, joined a few days ago and not heard anything so far.

sffvba[e0rt
January 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Same here, joined a few days ago and not heard anything so far.

Thanks.

sffvba[e0rt
May 5th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Die Mann lernt... got my invite and started with some German :D

CharlesA
May 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Die Mann lernt... got my invite and started with some German :D

Pretty cool isn't it?

sffvba[e0rt
May 5th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Pretty cool isn't it?

So far so good... will only really know how much merit it has when I can either speak German, or think I can speak German :p

CharlesA
May 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
So far so good... will only really know how much merit it has when I can either speak German, or think I can speak German :p

Lol. I'll be doing the same except with Spanish. ;)

szymon_g
May 5th, 2012, 10:52 PM
thanx for link!
great site, i've just signed to it.

Drenriza
May 7th, 2012, 08:32 AM
thanx for link!
great site, i've just signed to it.

:)

glad that you could use it.

Nytram
June 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I received an email from DuoLingo saying they now do French.. if anyone wants an invite feel free to PM me.

Drenriza
June 13th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I received an email from DuoLingo saying they now do French.. if anyone wants an invite feel free to PM me.

That could be interesting.

ninjaaron
June 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM
ZOMG! Ich würde gern mein Deutsch verbessern.

forrestcupp
June 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM

When you go to their page to sign up, you have to set which language you want to learn. After you get signed up, can you learn more than one language, or are you stuck with that one you chose? Can you learn on your own time, or do they expect you to keep up a certain amount of time, and nag you if you don't?

sffvba[e0rt
June 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
When you go to their page to sign up, you have to set which language you want to learn. After you get signed up, can you learn more than one language, or are you stuck with that one you chose? Can you learn on your own time, or do they expect you to keep up a certain amount of time, and nag you if you don't?

I am pretty sure you can choose more than one (haven't tried myself however)... I stopped doing it for about two months now, in this time I got two e-mails to remind me about it.

Nytram
June 13th, 2012, 03:57 PM
When you go to their page to sign up, you have to set which language you want to learn. After you get signed up, can you learn more than one language, or are you stuck with that one you chose?

Yes you can switch languages whenever you want, and it keeps a record of your progress in each one, at the moment there's French (beta) German and Spanish (there's also English for Spanish speakers.)

Can you learn on your own time, or do they expect you to keep up a certain amount of time, and nag you if you don't?

You can learn at your own pace - it's possible to have a daily reminder email sent at your chosen time, but this is optional.

Linuxratty
June 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
A friend of mine is doing this as well. It really works!

forrestcupp
June 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
If it is just a means to translate text on the web, do they have any ways to help you with pronunciation?

CharlesA
June 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
If it is just a means to translate text on the web, do they have any ways to help you with pronunciation?
They have audio pronunciations. ;)

stalkingwolf
June 14th, 2012, 04:14 PM
waiting to hear from them.

V for Vincent
June 14th, 2012, 04:21 PM
They're opening in about two weeks, but I've still got a few invites left. PM me with your email if you're interested. First come, first served.

sffvba[e0rt
June 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I also still have all of my invites... PM me and I will get on it as soon as I can :)

eriktheblu
June 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Been using it for a couple days now. Only complaint so far is that my USB headset isn't recognized as a microphone. I think this is a Flash problem, so my complaint is that they are using Flash.

azangru
June 17th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Spanish
German
French
Portuguese
Italian
Chinese
This is the choice of languages. Sigh. I would be interested if they offered classical languages, such as Latin or Classical Greek. :(

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2012, 02:25 AM
This is the choice of languages. Sigh. I would be interested if they offered classical languages, such as Latin or Classical Greek. :(

Since the whole point is teaching people languages while translating the web to other languages, I doubt if there is going to be much demand for Latin and Classical Greek. ;)