PDA

View Full Version : text editor, tabs and autowrap

bonfire89
January 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if there was a text editor out there that will preserve indentation when a line wrap occurs?

I know libre/open office does this, but, those apps are a bit heavy for my liking since this is just for class notes.

Thanks!

edit: it is starting to look like VIM might be able to do this, if so, I might just end up being a convert. I'm still researching.

http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/Wrapping-relative-to-current-indent-td4709860.html I'm too much of a newb to know how to apply this though

sffvba[e0rt
January 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM
When I have to update a wiki I found the same issue. So far I haven't found a light weight editor that does what I need, so I use the "fold" command in terminal to wrap the text for me.

ilovelinux33467
January 11th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I think Kate will do what you need. I have attached a screenshot showing an example in it. Is this kind of what you wanted or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

bonfire89
January 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
@ilovelinux33467 58.8MB of new archives later, and yep, kate works the way I want! Thanks!

@not found, which editor were you using?

sffvba[e0rt
January 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
@ilovelinux33467 58.8MB of new archives later, and yep, kate works the way I want! Thanks!

I would use any text editor, save the file in plain text then in terminal:

fold -s filename.txt > newfile.txt

Then the new file would be nice and wrapped.

Copper Bezel
January 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Smashing. I've been wishing gedit had soft indents like that for quite some time, as it is particularly necessary with note-taking. Thanks both to bonfire89 for asking the question and ilovelinux33467 for knowing the answer. = ) I used to be afraid of Kate, but with a few tweaks, it's simpler than gedit, and the only thing I miss is gedit's overlay scrollbars.

bonfire89
January 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
@not found, oh cool, I learned about a new program! I didn't know that exists. Surely it will come in use but seems a bit cumbersome.

@Copper Bezel, the last year or two I have spent a lot of time doing manual line breaks and lots of tabbing while taking class notes. Then I by accident stumbled upon http://www.sublimetext.com/2 which has the line wrap functionality I want and decided I couldn't deal with the manual work of gedit anymore. But, then I found out sublime was $60USD which is too much for me since I'd only be utilizing a fraction of its capabilities and because fully featured word processors come at $0, and because as a student my monthly income is $0.

trivialpackets
January 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Currently, Sublime-Text-2 has no time limit for their testing however, so if you want to continue to try it out or use it for the time being, you are certainly able to. Personally, I am absolutely ready to fork over the $ when the time comes. It's also a terrific code editor.

Copper Bezel
January 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
@Copper Bezel, the last year or two I have spent a lot of time doing manual line breaks and lots of tabbing while taking class notes.
Exactly - and then, I imagine, spent several frustrated seconds fixing indentation when you needed to jump back and add something. This topic has ever-so-slightly improved my quality of life. = )

bonfire89
January 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
@Copper Bezel, haha, oh yep

@eric.proctor, yeah I know, but nags you from time to time when saving and says unregistered up at the top. I don't think I'd ever buy because I am literally only making jot notes. No code completion, no snippets, no syntax highlighting.

ilovelinux33467
January 12th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Smashing. I've been wishing gedit had soft indents like that for quite some time, as it is particularly necessary with note-taking. Thanks both to bonfire89 for asking the question and ilovelinux33467 for knowing the answer. = ) I used to be afraid of Kate, but with a few tweaks, it's simpler than gedit, and the only thing I miss is gedit's overlay scrollbars.

You're welcome. :)