PDA

View Full Version : Clever Ubuntu ad.

Linuxratty
January 11th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I had no idea Ubuntu was making ads...There are several,but I think you will really enjoy this one.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37gwU3cJA4

IWantFroyo
January 11th, 2012, 02:55 AM
It says "Made by Arthur" in the description, which doesn't seem like something Canonical would readily post.

Maybe these are community made ads?

Edit: Checked the channel. They're community made. A very good job though, my hat's off to them.

Dangertux
January 11th, 2012, 04:02 AM
So...We want to get people to convert by speeding up our videos, so it looks like our OS is faster than it is, particularly considering Windows is already handicapped by running in a VM...

Sounds good, convert to Ubuntu the Operating System of liars, propagandists and used car salesmen everywhere... I'm sure it's the image Canonical wants to put forth.

Now before everyone complains that I'm saying Ubuntu is not better than Windows or I'm spreading FUD or don't want the community to grow. I am saying this : Ubuntu and Linux in general have enough LEGITIMATE selling points that we shouldn't have to "tweak" our videos and lie to people about performance they won't see. It just makes angry new users. I believe in fair comparison between the two because I have enough faith in Linux (and knowledge of) to know what its ACTUAL strong points are, thus can fairly recommend it when the situation is right.

kaldor
January 11th, 2012, 04:06 AM
So...We want to get people to convert by speeding up our videos, so it looks like our OS is faster than it is, particularly considering Windows is already handicapped by running in a VM...

Sounds good, convert to Ubuntu the Operating System of liars, propagandists and used car salesmen everywhere... I'm sure it's the image Canonical wants to put forth.

My thoughts exactly. Windows 7 performs multitudes faster at certain tasks compared to Ubuntu on this machine.

sammiev
January 11th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I'm speechless! :shock: Sure we will hear from MS shortly. LMAO

wolfen69
January 11th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I am saying this : Ubuntu and Linux in general have enough LEGITIMATE selling points that we shouldn't have to "tweak" our videos and lie to people about performance they won't see.

I agree with this. I don't like windows, but I don't agree with how this video portrays itself. We should be trying to sell our strong points without belittling other OS's.

CharlesA
January 11th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I agree with this. I don't like windows, but I don't agree with how this video portrays itself. We should be trying to sell our strong points without belittling other OS's.
Indeed. That one just screams "We are so much better than Windows!!" yet they sped up the Ubuntu portions and have Windows running at normal speed.

Go figure.

Bucky Ball
January 11th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Can't see the humour, just the propaganda.

cariboo
January 11th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Here's an official Ubuntu ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_WaOLjdyQ

CharlesA
January 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Here's an official Ubuntu ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_WaOLjdyQ
Now that is a nice ad.

Linuxratty
January 11th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Now that is a nice ad.