PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant drag window from top panel when full

Myoldmopar
January 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Greetings,

I work mostly with maximized windows on my dual screen set up. Things tend to work pretty well. Periodically I move my applications from one screen to the other as I deem appropriate for efficiency. This is generally easy, I grab it on the top panel and drag over to the other window.

However, when I encounter a program that has a densely populated main menu, and I hover over the top panel in order to drag it from one screen to the other, I can't actually grab the window to drag it. I simply click into one of the menu drop downs. When moving fast, this causes quite unexpected behavior and I have to move to the little *unmaximize* button, move the window over, then remaximize.

Firstly, is there a modifier key while hovering over the top panel that will switch it back to "non-hovering" mode? If not, what are your thoughts on doing this with the fewest clicks/mouse-inches.

I browsed for a while, but only found people requesting Unity be destroyed, which is discouraging. I like Unity, but I'm not requesting other options be removed...options are great ;).

Thanks!

Krytarik
January 11th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I don't think you can make the Global Menu behave like that, but another workaround would be: Alt + left-click -> move. ;-)

Regards.

Myoldmopar
January 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Beautiful...

It took me a minute to figure out how to apply alt-click>move, but I've got it now. Always love learning something new and useful.

Thanks!