PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 is pretty good OS IMO

asifnaz
January 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have seen much FUD about Windows 7 on Linux related forums and websites . I am writing these lines on a Ubuntu 11.10 machine but I must say Windows 7 is the best versatile OS IMHO .

It is :
Best OS for gaming
Endless availablity of software and hardware
Stable
Secure
Very Good looking

I just wonder why Linux community has such negative views about windows 7..?

satanselbow
January 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yawn... yeah it's alright...

apart from the virus/spyware, cost... your last 3 items are stretching it a bit :p

I like the way it appears right at the bottom of my grub menu...

sffvba[e0rt
January 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

To each his own. I don't expect to hear how awesome Mac's are on a Windows forum or visa-versa either.

And as soon as the OS bashing starts this thread will also be locked...

wolfen69
January 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I have seen much FUD about Windows 7 on Linux related forums and websites .

I have also seen much FUD about linux and MacOS on various sites also. Use what works for you. I personally don't care for windows though.

Basher101
January 10th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Best OS for gaming
only because Windows is running on so many machines, that is the reason why the big game companies make games almost for Windows only. If there were as many Ubuntu running PCs out there, things would look totally different.

Endless availablity of software
and alot of which you do NOT want but still get...

Endless availablity of hardware
this has nothing much to do with the OS itself..this was true back in the days with IBM compatible computers.

Stable
i have seen it crashing on my machine more often than Ubuntu, but in the end it is how the user uses the OS. If you keep it clean from all the bloatware it can stay somewhat stable. But it will never get to the uptimes of ubuntu systems, especially when ubuntu systems do not slow down much when running for long (let windows run for a week without a reboot, it will be alot slower than Ubuntu).

Secure
The OS is just as secure as Ubuntu, but because it is used that wideley, people have found exploits and made viruses and other malware for it. Ubuntu is only more secure, because people do not go through the trouble of making viruses as there are far too less PCs running Ubuntu to be profitable.

Very Good looking
oh rly? have you even taken a look at the screenshot threads? Here you can now:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1902709&highlight=january+screenshot&page=2 . You can customize Ubuntu completeley to your needs, you can change Desktop Environments, Window themes, icon themes, you can make a conky script, you can use compiz for eyecandy, and and and...in Windows you wont ever get the freedom to change this much on your interface.

In the end you should use whatever works best for you, but the statement that windows is the "best" OS is false. It can be the best for a particular category, gaming for example. In other things Ubuntu is better, like being light on resources, etc.

I like Windows 7 too, the fud is overexaggerated, but most of them are not the Windows' fault (like ppl making a ton of viruses for it). Sadly alot of people miss this fact.

my 2 cents

regards

asifnaz
January 10th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Where did I say windows 7 is better than Ubuntu or Mac os x . .? I just said it is pretty decent OS . As an OS is nothing but a tool to interact with a computer , it is doing the job .

As for stability it is less or more as stable as Ubuntu 11.10 . I know Ubuntu comes with way more customizing tools though

Basher101
January 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
but I must say Windows 7 is the best versatile OS IMHO .
You did say it, i must apologize as this only represents your personal opinion.

yet any OS is decent, be it Windows, Mac OS or Linux.

edit:
I just wonder why Linux community has such negative views about windows 7..?
because alot switched to linux because their windows stopped working

hailholyghost
January 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM
To each his/her own I suppose.

I feel like a linux traitor, having just bought MS Office 2010 for my Windows 7 partition.

We all know that Windows' soft spots are cost, reliability/stability, and security.

Linux's soft spots are compatibility and ease of use. Libre Office, for example, doesn't hold a candle to MS Office 2010. I eagerly await the day that the two are equal so I wouldn't have to have blown > $100 for a software package.

Basher101
January 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I eagerly await the day that the two are equal so I wouldn't have to have blown > $100 for a software package.

and this is yet another reason for fud about windows, which is the business model of microsoft. But people forget that software has nothing to do with the OS itself..windows itself is not at fault for everything being that expensive

regards

asifnaz
January 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
You did say it, i must apologize as this only represents your personal opinion.

I said best versatile OS .(if it was the best OS) I was not writing thise lines on Ubuntu .

By versatile I mean its all-round use like gaming , hardware and software support .(and windows is no more instable as Windows XP )

Gone fishing
January 10th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

To each his own. I don't expect to hear how awesome Mac's are on a Windows forum or visa-versa either.

And as soon as the OS bashing starts this thread will also be locked...

Please

I am so fed up of Windows fanboys on this site telling me how awesome Windows is. 7 yes its a bit better than ME or Vista, it got some quit cool 3rd part apps. No its not more secure than Linux which has always been quite secure unlike most Windows OSes.

You want to use Windows great - just please don't tell me about unless it's relevant to Linux / Ubuntu i.e to do with Winbind, Samba etc.

vasa1
January 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Quite a pointless thread.

satanselbow
January 10th, 2012, 06:39 PM
... I only replied in the first place cos I was bored... didn't realise you lot would join in :popcorn:

Can't "windows" just go in the bad word filter and be done with it?

Shall we shut the gates (sic) on this one now then?

Basher101
January 10th, 2012, 06:45 PM
i really cannot understand whats so hard about appreciating all the operating systems that are out there...

satanselbow
January 10th, 2012, 06:51 PM
i really cannot understand whats so hard about appreciating all the operating systems that are out there...

Only if we are allowed to appreciate some more than others ;)

CharlesA
January 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Please

I am so fed up of Windows fanboys on this site telling me how awesome Windows is. 7 yes its a bit better than ME or Vista, it got some quit cool 3rd part apps. No its not more secure than Linux which has always been quite secure unlike most Windows OSes.

It gets a bit annoying, but most of them get bumped to Recurring (where they disappear).

Windows and Linux have about the same level of security providing you don't go to suspicious sites and download random junk from the internet. There's a thread about it somewhere in Recurring, but I don't feel like digging for it. :p

To each their own - use whatever works for you.

a2j
January 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
yeah, its good enough... to download latest Debian(based) distro and burn it on the CD :)

wolfen69
January 10th, 2012, 10:58 PM
It's like anything else in life. Should we have to appreciate all kinds of peanut butter? No. I may like Jif creamy pb, but dislike organic pb. We all have our likes and dislikes, and if I dislike windows, I should have that right. The thing we should really appreciate, is the fact that we have choices. That's what we should embrace.

TeamRocket1233c
January 10th, 2012, 11:02 PM
It's a great OS. I mean it's faster, more efficient and stable than Vista, although Vista ain't bad either, with the right hardware, and it also supports more software and hardware than Vista.

It's also got basically the same UI, so a person upgrading from Vista to 7 wouldn't really tell the difference as far as the UI goes.

I mean some people may bash Windows as a whole, but I don't. Each OS platform has its perks and its pitfalls. Windows' perks is it works with the widest assortment of software, and its one of the easiest platforms around to use, its pitfall is it's very prone to viruses and malware, which can easily be fixed with anti-virus and anti-malware programs, and as far as stability goes it's actually not that bad. You'll very seldom see a BSOD on Vista or newer.

Linux's perks, on the other hand, are it's more stable than Windows, although right on par with OSX, it's more secure, and depending on the desktop environment in use, it's either just as easy to use or easier than Windows, and can run on a wider range of hardware. Its pitfall, and pretty much its only pitfall, is it's not quite as software-compatible as Windows.

So all in all, both platforms are great, it's just a matter of personal preference, and in some cases necessity.

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Use that which works for you and allow others to use their choice do do so unmolested.

TeamRocket1233c
January 10th, 2012, 11:12 PM
^Pretty much what I'm trying to say.^

ubiquitin.jf
January 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Win7 is great, some of us just feel more at home on Linux. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Quadunit404
January 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Use whatever works for you. Seriously, how hard is it for people here to realize this?

Windows works out best for you? Okay, that's cool I guess. Mac OS X works for you? That's cool too. Linux? Cool as well I guess. It's as simple as that, and it should remain as simple as that, without any opinions shoved in your face, or people forcing you to use an OS you don't want to use against your will because of useless freedom reasons (mankind doesn't need software freedom, why is it so important?!) or because you think your opinion is "greater" than everyone else's opinion and everyone else should think the same way as you. People hindering other people's freedom to use whatever OS they want, regardless of if it's Windows, OS X or Linux, pisses me off to no end ](*,)

saneearth
January 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM
The main issue I have with Windows 7 is that it is slow compared with Ubuntu and I really don't like the menu funtion, not to mention anti-virus, etc. etc. I use and support windows 7 users, though primarily still xp users in a school environment. Yes, there is a large availabilty of commercial closed source software, but it is also cumbersome and makes windows 7 even slower. Just my opinion.

TeamRocket1233c
January 14th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Use whatever works for you. Seriously, how hard is it for people here to realize this?

Windows works out best for you? Okay, that's cool I guess. Mac OS X works for you? That's cool too. Linux? Cool as well I guess. It's as simple as that, and it should remain as simple as that, without any opinions shoved in your face, or people forcing you to use an OS you don't want to use against your will because of useless freedom reasons (mankind doesn't need software freedom, why is it so important?!) or because you think your opinion is "greater" than everyone else's opinion and everyone else should think the same way as you. People hindering other people's freedom to use whatever OS they want, regardless of if it's Windows, OS X or Linux, pisses me off to no end ](*,)

Agreed.

TeamRocket1233c
January 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
There's also BSD.

Basher101
January 14th, 2012, 12:16 AM
There's also BSD.

why not go ahead and list all linux distros out there...
anyways, use what you want and what works for you.

And when i said that everyone should appreciate all OS, i meant it in the way that there is no reason to go hating on an OS, just don't use it and thats about it.

regards

Quadunit404
January 14th, 2012, 01:13 AM
It makes me so glad to see other people here who think the same as I do (use whatever works best for you.)

I'll be honest here, and I don't mean to offend anyone as I try to respect the opinions of others (until they shove their opinions down my throat, then it becomes problematic for me), but each time I see someone else who thinks the "Use whatever works best for you" way it restores a bit of my faith in this community. I really do not like it when people say "OMG u n00b l0lz W1nbloze SUXXXXXXX yooz Linux insted herpdeederp" and would wish that software freedom activists would stop claiming they're all for freedom, but yet infringe on the freedom of others by forcing them to use Linux over their preferred OS of choice because of silly reasons like "You can see how your software works!" or "It's 100% free software, forget those silly, freedom-restricting proprietary OSes and software because free software is automagically better just because it's free!" (okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but that seems to be the message I'm getting from these "freedom fighters"). I unfortunately see that more often than I like here and, due to that, I tend to get angry at certain users here a lot.

Really, I'd like it if people were to just drop the whole software freedom movement, accept the fact that the market as it is is actually free (who says that choice between three different OSes based on three different kernels isn't a bad thing? Or not free? Because restricting people to just using Linux would be not very good for freedom, really) and let people just use what OS they want without going all Operating System Nazi on them just because of their choice of OS. It's not that hard at all - trust me on that one.