PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Desktop Theme

makitso
January 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I must say that I am very partial to the Lubuntu theme in version 11.04. I like the blue with white lettering on the panel and desktop theme. IMO, the 11.10 theme is less vibrant so I would like to identify the files to move from 11.04 to 11.10 to fix this.

What files should I find and replace?

Frogs Hair
January 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
You should be able to identify the currently installed themes from the synaptic package manager . You also need to know the name of the 11.04 theme and this could be found in appearance or theme settings . If the 11.04 theme is compatible with 11.10 you should be able install it .

Dennis N
January 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I must say that I am very partial to the Lubuntu theme in version 11.04. I like the blue with white lettering on the panel and desktop theme. IMO, the 11.10 theme is less vibrant so I would like to identify the files to move from 11.04 to 11.10 to fix this.

What files should I find and replace?

In Lubuntu 11.04, the background image for the panel is:

/usr/share/lxpanel/images/lubuntu-background.png

Just use that instead of the 11.10 image. (set through Panel Settings > Appearance).

The wallpaper is at:

/usr/share/lubuntu/wallpapers/lubuntu-default-wallpaper.png

Good luck.

makitso
January 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks!

makitso
January 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Panel and background work great. But, when I open a window or folder or application the top of the window is the old light gray with black text. How do I change this to the blue with white text?
Said another way, the 11.04 Openbox Lubuntu-default, where might this be?

Dennis N
January 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Panel and background work great. But, when I open a window or folder or application the top of the window is the old light gray with black text. How do I change this to the blue with white text?
Said another way, the 11.04 Openbox Lubuntu-default, where might this be?

Recommended:

The simplest way would be to change the window border to have a blue background with white text is to use Clearlooks border:

Preferences > Customized Look and Feel > Window Border

Select Clearlooks

Press the Apply button.

Close and you are done.

----------------------------

Harder Option:

If you want the exact same theme/border as in Lubuntu 11.04:

The folder containing the default theme components in Lubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 is:

/usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default

I would definitely back up the 11.10 Lubuntu-default folder before making any changes, in case something goes wrong and you want to restore it. Proceed at your own risk.

Ideas:

You should be able to copy the old theme folder into /usr/share/themes/ directory of 11.10. I would change to another theme and window border before doing that, then reselect.

If you want to change only the window border, you might be able to replace only the Openbox-3 folder which defines the window border theme. It's inside the Lubuntu-default folder.

Note: The newer Lubuntu theme contains a GTK-3 theme version the old one doesn't have.

Except for using Clearlooks border, these are suggestions with unknown final results, so be sure to back up the theme folder before proceeding.

makitso
January 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yes, I am using clearlooks now. It is very close but personally, I don't like the boxes around the window controls. Thanks for the second option.:P

As a side note, there have been many posts about the stunning beauty of the lubuntu 11.04 theme. IMO, it was jaw dropping in its simplicity and elegance. I requested on the 12.04 wish list that this theme be made available.

Update: I copied the folders in /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-default from my 11.04 installation to 12.04 and it works perfect!

Now, 12.04 looks as stunning.

Thanks for your help.