PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] "Places" widget in Kubuntu 11.10?

scubscub
January 10th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Hello, I'm looking for a way to put something like the Places menu from gnome 2 on Kubuntu. Actually I think this is usually refered to as the "Applications - Places - System" menu but the application launcher menu serves most of these functions. What I'm looking for is something to replicate the "Places" menu specifically, with its quick links to different parts of my file system, along with recent documents, search, etc.

Any ideas?

scubscub
January 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I'm currently trying out the "folder view" widget, which gives me at least an easy way into Dolphin (the file browser). Within dolphin, there is a "places" panel which is editable and so quite nice. It would be neat if there were a way to put a widget on the taskbar linking directly to this places list, and also to file search and recent documents list...

scubscub
January 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Well, I found I could create a new Application Launcher Menu and modify it (this seems to be a great strength of Kubuntu, its modifiability) to show the "Computer" (including "Places") and recent documents. This is getting closer to what I want, though the Recent Documents, for instance, has little in the way of options, I cannot choose whether or not to show the path, there is no "clear recent documents," etc.